PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Flames within Maya Fluids

VTeixeira
10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to create realistic within Maya for my master thesis animation project.
I've already taken a look at the DVD's from David, gnomon, and I'm studying right now the Maya fluids examples.
Based on the turbulent flame I'm having some nice results in shapes but the color and the detail are bothering me. Even if I increase the resolution or the shading quality I'm not having more detail.
I now that in compositing I can work a little bit more the fluid but what I'm I missing besides experience? Do I need more emitters and create more interaction?
In the turbulent flame there's no texture applied, his this one of the problems?
Sorry for so many questions.
I have this example that I'm trying to follow:

http://www.rsp.com.au/portfolio/flv/hp4Flv.htm

Thanks a lot for any type of help.
Cheers

mandark1011
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
first thing is the examples from the movie you are trying to emulate are from Double Negative which has built its own proprietary software because of the short comings in fluid sims in other software packages.

Ive heard of a lot of examples where they have used maya fluids to drive the behavior then rendered in houdini.

also ive heard a lot of people augment their maya fluids fire with practical elements in post.

super realistic fire is still one of those bench mark effects.

good luck

apoc519
10-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I usually add some high frequency texture with grid speed at 1. Its definitely an improvement over the visor examples

VTeixeira
10-28-2009, 03:31 AM
One of my main difficulties it's when i'm raising the resolution, the rest of the parameters have to follow but thats with a lot try and error...

Phlok
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
The settings for Temperature, Denisty and Fuel are always to be regarded in connecton with the resolution. This means, the settings that may suit you well in a resolution of 60/60/60 won't help you anything in 120/ 120/ 120.

Even though it will be very slow, you have to work in your final resolution. In Houdini's PyroFX system, they have done away with that problem, as you will do all the tweaking and basic setting using a low Res fluid, that will be cached and fed into a high res representation of that same thing....there is a more recent SIGGRAPH paper on that technique somewhere in the net, if you are interested in the further details.

VTeixeira
10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
That paper is for Houdini right?

Phlok
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
No, it is not. It is a scientific paper on how to solve that problem and the stuff disucced in that paper has been implemented by the developers of Houdini into their software.

If you need a deep understanding of how thiongs work in fluid containers, you might want to read papers like the one mentioned.

VTeixeira
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM
But what paper should I read and where can I find that recent paper from Siggraph, whats the name?

Directable, High-Resolution Simulation of Fire on the GPU - Is this the paper?

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.