PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ground plane

rurik
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Hello

I'm trying to create an scenery a little like the one in this link. (http://plumbercloud.com/misc_public/Angus%20McKie%20-%20The%20Planet%20That%20Wasn%27t%20%28Isaac%20Asimov%29.jpg)
The problems I'm having are
1/How do I create a ground plane that has some displacement but that is not crazy chaotic and full of huge bumps. I tried infinite terrains, but they are impossible to work with at 1920x1080 on OS X 8core with 16gigs of RAM.
2/How do I get a nice connection between the ground and the mountains so it seems like they are gently melding into each other? If they are too separate objects is that possible at all?

Thanks
Alex

InfernalDarkness
10-28-2009, 02:41 AM
I tried infinite terrains, but they are impossible to work with at 1920x1080 on OS X 8core with 16gigs of RAM.

Have you tried using large procedural or high-res terrain objects? I'm not sure why you find infinite terrains impossible to work with. Is it just the rendertimes that are bugging you, or is Vue being typical and unstable?

The image reference you've shown should be pretty easy to pull off with procedural terrains... And you wouldn't have to crank up the resolution for procedural terrains...

I'm thinking you really don't need a flat ground plane to do this kind of smooth blend.

bruno021
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Are you doing a still or animation?
For a still, you don't need an inf terrain, just a large procedural terrain, and the Terrain fractal node should give you the right results (use alot of gain though) This fractal creates flat areas in between patches of mountains, provided you push the gain slider way up.
I don't have problems with Infinite terrains here on the PC side.

rurik
10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, I,m finding it hard to create those background mountains, the smooth slope, the shape of them..
I've been learning about procedural terrains and they seem to be the way to go for the ground plane, but how to shape those bg mountains?

Thanks for the suggestions on the gain etc.., working on that now

MrHobby
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
You know that you can sculpt the terrain you want right?

1.) Pick the type terrain that best fits your scene.
2.) Sculpt the terrain to the desired landscape.

for example: if you choose the mountain terrain turn off "rounded edges" and sculpt the side of the terrain you want to be flat.
There are 100's of brushes and tools that will help you get the flat terrain to look gritty, bumpy and realistic.

rurik
10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Hmm, maybe because I'm using Pioneer I don't seem to have the rounded edges option for mountains?
Sculpting doesn't always get me where I want, probably also because I'm just a beginner at Vue. Where do you find hundreds of brushes? I only have a couple available in my setup

Thanks
Alex

teruchan
11-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I would wonder why you need an infinite terrain for the scene you're doing. Are you flying over it for a long distance? If you terrain is just uneven, but mostly flat, why not just paint it? Use an airbrush to create a few mounds and then erode them for a bit of realism.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2009, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.