PDA

View Full Version : Particle Sprite question

StefanAlbertz
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Before i start describing my problem, a little trick i discovered last week:
On particle type point, streak, multi point, multi streak there is a color accumulation switch that causes overlapping particles to add their color instead of being opaque. When using sprites, this switch isnīt existent. Now first switch to point, turn on color accumulation and switch to sprites. With normal shading mode and hardware render buffer you wonīt see any success, but if you change renderer to "high quality renderer" and render with "Maya Hardware", the sprites will color-accumulate .. nice undocumented .. bug? .. but it saves the day sometimes.

Now to my question: Iīm doing a firework and in one particle system (the one where some glowing fireballs fly away) iīve to colorise the sprite particles themselves (normaly i try to keep them greyscale to later use rgbPP). The sprite is constructed using a circular ramp (to stay flexible) and i would like to keep it that way. When the particles come to the end of their lifes, i want to flash them bright white - and here is the problem: since they are colored by the sprite, rgbPP can only influence the color (its multiplied, isnīt it?) but not control it completely - so, going back to bright white seems to by impossible. Now i thought that i could switch the sprite, like with a sprite sequence - is this also possible, if one doesnt use a sequence but a texture to generate the sprite?

Another question (not sprite related): is it possible to emit a particle by another particle at a specific age of that second particle? Like: at age 5 you emit 10 particles?
Edit: that last one is already solved. It was in the particle menu (add per particle emission attribute).

StefanAlbertz
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
just to bring this up again - has anyone a solution on this problem?

mandark1011
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
what happens when you crank the rgb multiplier to say 30 in the value. this should COOK the colour value out of your particle shouldn't it? Another thought would be to add a pass that is just incan that pops on at the end of the sequence then in post use a glow of some sort to get the result your looking for?
hope that helps good luck!

arkangel-fx
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Make a custom userScalarPP and using particleSampler use it to override the color of your dying particles. Should be pretty simple.

Here you have a quick example(Red=Live particle, White=Flash Particle, Blue=Dying Particle):

http://image.gxzone.com/thumb/0/8/08bdcb0b1f0.jpg (http://image.gxzone.com/index.php?image=08bdcb0b1f0.jpg#img)

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.