PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush to Maxwell Displacement

DimensionalPunk
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Does anyone have experience achieving ZBrush displacement in Maxwell? Is there one setting that always works? What format do you use? Thanks.

cgbeige
10-27-2009, 02:58 AM
what is the problem specifically? Maxwell's shader displacement controls are where you should be changing the values and you need to increase the precision to get details. I just finished rendering this:

http://www.3eige.com/cgtalk/coconutscoconuts.jpg

The precision is 180 and the height was 3 but there's nothing special about those settings (increasing the precision slows rendering so be careful with that). Note that there is currently a bug in Maxwell 2.0 for OS X that you need an RGB displacement if you're using a 16-bit image. It should be fixed soon.

If your problem is with ZBrush's UV tiling, that's a whole other story. Use something like Headus UV Layout to build a better UV map for the base mesh and import it - ZBrush will automatically remap your higher subdivisions to the new UV base mesh. Also, make sure you have merge set under the export options.

DimensionalPunk
10-27-2009, 03:15 AM
What offset are you using? I've found 0.75 offset works okay. What I'm looking for is a way to take the guesswork out of it. Offset should be the same for all ZBrush maps, so I'm wondering what the correct number is. And is there maybe a way to determine the height from inside ZBrush?

cgbeige
10-27-2009, 04:54 AM
unfortunately, I haven't managed to take the guesswork out of it. ZBrush doesn't give you an offset value like Mudbox does when you output an 8/16-bit displacement map. 32-bit displacement maps are supposed to be absolute and will be fine no matter what the scale but I haven't tested that with Maxwell, only VRay and Mental Ray.

obz
11-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I just did a quick write up over here on getting Zbrush 3.5's 32bit maps to work in Maxwell.
Itīs maya centric but should translate.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=77033

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2009, 08:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.