PDA

View Full Version : rendering ocean shader with a cartoon look

flore33
10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
HI,

I have been trying a few things but without success. I would like to give the ocean shader a drawing look and I thought maybe that I could plug the toon shader into it but I haven't found a way to do this.
Does someone have an idea that could help me out?
Thanks

InfernalDarkness
10-27-2009, 12:34 AM
This seems more like a job for postwork, especially if you're animating.

For the toon shader, did you mean mental ray contour shaders, or the Ravia Vector Renderer? Contour shading might work, but I don't think there are going to be any object edges for the Vector Renderer, since it's just a shader...

Perhaps you could plug the ocean shader into your displacement, and then render contours out that way?

cgbeige
10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
ya, it's going to be stupidly taxing to render the ocean stuff and then push it through a lens shader or something, only to give you the same results as something like a posterize or Sapphire Cartoon (After Effects/Nuke plugin).

Als
10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/duncan/creating_a_toon_ocean

cgbeige
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Heh - that's *close* to what he wanted :p

Als
10-28-2009, 06:25 AM
;)

On the serious note, anyone has advice on how to render ocean with MR, with what setup.
I've tried to use aproximation editor to get it to render better, but it's not giving me enough detail at all. Any settings to suggest?
(not hijacking the tread, I hope)

Also there is a great paper on rendering toon water, but I couldn't manage to find it, I will look later...

Thanks

Al

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2009, 06:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.