PDA

View Full Version : issues with caching instance indexPP

stooch
10-26-2009, 09:34 PM
How come I cant render a cached nparticle shape with a changing indexPP??

is this a limitation or something? would love to know if there is a workaround.

rxgeez
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
This may be a stupid question but before you nCache are you setting the "Cacheable Attributes" option under the "Caching" tab on the nParticle to "all"?

stooch
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
This may be a stupid question but before you nCache are you setting the "Cacheable Attributes" option under the "Caching" tab on the nParticle to "all"?

of course. although this is a long standing issue that was present way before nparticles.

Wick3dParticle
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Are you batch rendering locally, or submitting to a farm?

If you are batching it locally.... try caching it and saving the file. Then close maya and re-open the scene... then kick off the render. I had that happen to me once before.

~Ilan

rxgeez
10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
i just set up a simple scene where i instanced 3 different objects to nParticles and cycled through the index every frame....ncached them and batch rendered 10 frames and they seem to update just fine in the render...am I missing something?

*edit*
I batch rendered locally

Wick3dParticle
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
i just set up a simple scene where i instanced 3 different objects to nParticles and cycled through the index every frame....ncached them and batch rendered 10 frames and they seem to update just fine in the render...am I missing something?

It doesn't always happen with me, but I have seen it before.

~Ilan

JoshM
10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I've had similar issues as well, but I believe this problem stems from nCaching. Not just the indexPP per-particle attribute. Is this being rendered across the network? This is where I run into all of my issues with cached nParticles. Sometimes the nCache will read all of my per-particle attrs, sometimes it wont. This only happens when I am rendering across the network. If I just render it locally through the command-line, it will render / read the cache just fine.

Josh

stooch
10-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I've had similar issues as well, but I believe this problem stems from nCaching. Not just the indexPP per-particle attribute. Is this being rendered across the network? This is where I run into all of my issues with cached nParticles. Sometimes the nCache will read all of my per-particle attrs, sometimes it wont. This only happens when I am rendering across the network. If I just render it locally through the command-line, it will render / read the cache just fine.

Josh

even locally, if i set the indexpp in an expression, cache it. scrub it. looks good. render good (test frame)

batch render... fails. our software is not locally installed though.

as if it never evaluates indexPP and just keeps the first index throughout the render.

JoshM
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Actually, as of yesterday I just ran into the same problem with the instancer. I have a scene where I use the surface normal from the CPOM node to control the direction of the instancer. For some reason the nParticleShape will not nCache and when I try to render it locally it completely disregards the Aim Direction attr.

I'm curious... do you have any nConstraints applied to you nParticles? I have a point to surface constraint on my nParticle system and it has been causing some really odd behavior. Mostly when I reopen the scene.

Josh

stooch
10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Actually, as of yesterday I just ran into the same problem with the instancer. I have a scene where I use the surface normal from the CPOM node to control the direction of the instancer. For some reason the nParticleShape will not nCache and when I try to render it locally it completely disregards the Aim Direction attr.

I'm curious... do you have any nConstraints applied to you nParticles? I have a point to surface constraint on my nParticle system and it has been causing some really odd behavior. Mostly when I reopen the scene.

Josh

nope

basically i eliminated all possible factors and whittled it down to indexPP, im not sure if the problem is with caching per se or with the instancer node (afterall they do have a whole new fancy way to cache with their N stuff right?:). Since other channels seem to work fine for me.

its good to get more people to post here with their experiences though, it seems to me that the problem is not unique to me so maybe AD will spend some effort on it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.