PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray batch renders slow "between frames"

lostparanoia
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I have a scene that renders really fast in my render view (6 sec), but when I run the batch render it goes from 0-100% in about 5 seconds, then nothing happens for about 40 seconds. then it renders the next frame in 5 seconds, then another 40 seconds pause. And so on.
This only happens in my main layer. occlusion batch renders fast as hell too.

So, I'm thinking, does MR have to reload all textures for every frame in the batch or something?
I've also tried switching my nurbs tesselation to approximation with no significant improvement.

We've recently upgraded all our machines and our software to win 7 and maya 2010, and the others in our studio are experiencing the exact same problem on a variety of different scenes.

any thoughts?

beaker
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Do you have a server with all the files on it? Is it a windows 7 server? Is the network slow? What format are all the textures? Are you using a renderfarm? What render management software?

lostparanoia
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Do you have a server with all the files on it? Is it a windows 7 server? Is the network slow? What format are all the textures? Are you using a renderfarm? What render management software?

The Server is a 1Gbit "Windows 2003 server" OS. Most of the textures are sgi format. And for this test I wasn't using the renderfarm, just did a local batch render inside maya.

beaker
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Well I would try moving everything local and see if you get the same speed hit. If you do then it is a network/server issue. Also try moving your textures to .map, since MR does have to convert them internally to that format you can get rid of that step.

lostparanoia
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanx, I'm gonna give it a try when I get some free time. I'll keep you posted.

JWRodegher
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I have the exact same issue, only that my maya is 2009, I'm on win7, textures are local and all of them are .map.

As my scene is texture heavy, it's not seconds but minutes it takes between one frame and another. It's very annoying as the actual render doesn't take much (less than 2min), but when it hits 100%, it stays like that for at least 7-10min before starting on the next.

There's a chance it's actually reloading textures/objects, but I'm not sure.

JayHoo
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Are you using Maya 2009 with SP1?

JWRodegher
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, I'm using maya 2009 sp1 on win7.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.