PDA

View Full Version : Courses in Australia?

AlphaMoth
10-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Just read an old thread here about animation and 3d courses in Australia. Everyone pretty much said the courses are rubbish and a waste of money, anywhere in Australia. Is this still the case?

I'm still not 100% sure of what I want to yet. Animation (3d or 2d), or something like concept art... Would it be best for me to go to a college or is it a waste of time? Maybe finding a good art school or so at TAFE and developing a good core knowledge of art fundamentals would be better?
I'm willing to move to either Brisbane, Queensland or Sydney (I'm near Sydney right now)..

Would just like some input on the Australia schools, or if something like working/while studying art/going to life drawing classes would be better.
But after doing something like that I wouldn't know how to actually get into the industry? I guess having a good portfolio would help. Like learning 3D work at home with gnomon workshop DVD's and so in my spare time?

Any help would be great.

Oh, and moving to Germany would be another option. Since I've lived there before and know the language etc

BilbyD
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I think it really depends what you want to do.

I know there aren't many 3D courses in aus, but i wouldn't say the ones they have are rubbish. I can only find/think of two 3d courses in sydney. One would be at qantm and the other at design centre enmore. I go dce and the 3d animation teacher there is great, he's really enthusiastic about teaching 3d and knows his program and the industry. The only advantage of having a teacher teach you it vs online tuts would be the ability to ask him/her questions and for him to give constant feedback and help with problems. But if you can deal with online feedback and help, and can push yourself then i don't see why online learning isn't an option. fxphd have nice online courses too.

If you'd like to do pure animation though, i think something like animationmentor.com would be miles ahead of what aus has to offer though, even though pricey. I don't think i've seen a pure animation course in aus before, well not one that focuses solely on the core principles of animation atleast.

If you want to do concept art, then i think it's all about learning art inside out. Life drawing, illustration, painting, anatomy, perspective, pretty much everything. Australia has some nice schools for art, though i don't know how well they are in comparison to overeas. Julian ashton is a name that pops up every now and then, never seen or been to it, so wouldn't know how good it is. The only illustration course in TAFE in sydney would be the design illustration course over at design centre enmore. Uni is an option, cofa, griffith, cota, etc. Wouldn't know how good they are though.

So yea, 3 very different roads. I had a hard time trying to decide which 3 i wanted to do, finally settled with concept art.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.