PDA

View Full Version : Car shader windows and headlights Maya

DustyKhan
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I have just modelled a volvo V70 (in maya) for a pictch that i have at the start of next month, and i am not used to modeling cars and i am having trouble geting the head lights and windscreen and windows to fit with the model as there is no interior i dont beleive i can have any transparancy also i have used the mia_carpaint shader for the body which i beleive is looking fine. i have tyied with a phong shader and a few others but i cant seem to find the result i am looking for (it is black background and having the car rotating and corners fading into the darkness). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can send File is needed!

Dusty

ndeboar
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
wrong thread mate. Try Maya or lighting and Shading.

InfernalDarkness
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
This is the proper thread.

Have you tried just turning off transparency and refractions? Maybe just make the windows black, but reflective.

I would use the mia_material_x if you're using mental ray, and a Blinn if you're not.

A few highlight lamps (large squares placed outside the camera's range and set Primary Visibility to OFF) that would be flat, bright white and different shapes can really help. This will simulate big tube lights off-scene, and will only show up as reflections or specularity on your window shader. Most studio-type renders you've seen use this type of light, if they don't use visible area lights outright.

JohnPetrucci
10-27-2009, 04:33 AM
here's a very useful tutorial
http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_01.htm

(3ds max but Same principles apply to Maya since both use mental ray)
give it a good read through all of them, it will help you a lot

DustyKhan
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, it has been really constructive, but one more thing i am having trouble with decals for the car and have gone about it placing a plane with the immage on that placed over the body of the car and it looks rubbish... any food for thought?

Thanks

InfernalDarkness
10-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Use a layered shader, perhaps? Decal as the top layer, mia_material_x or whatever you're using for the bottom layer.

Can you give us an example? Either a rendering or perhaps your shader tree..?

Worst-case scenario, UV-map your object very well and render one image with your carpaint, and one with your decal. Then composite the decal into the main image in post?

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2009, 03:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.