PDA

View Full Version : How I get good quality images from Shake

Sapphire
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I make my images in Maya as tga and then I composite them in Shake but when we view it in TV ,the result becomes low quality images. I do not know what I do wrong in shake.

What should I do to make them good quality.

Thanks alot.

scrimski
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I do not know what I do wrong in shake.So do we. Describe your workflow, post results, screenshots of your shake script - anything is more descriptive than "it doesn't work".

Sapphire
10-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I got it. there is compression light , when I turn it off I get good quality.

Thanks.

beaker
10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
What resolution are you rendering out to? How are you outputting it to tv?

Sapphire
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
What resolution are you rendering out to? How are you outputting it to tv?
in Maya I make 720*576 and I write 300 for the resolution instead the default which is 72.
I use tga,then I give the director these tga sequences and he is using video toaster which is connected to a system ( I do not know what does it called) and store it in betacam and send it to tv.

Bye the way, another question I have, about the resolution, in Maya I tried 300 and I tried 72 but when I open the two images in photoshop, I can not see any difference.Should they be difference or they should be the same?

scrimski
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM
72 and 300 dpi are obviously no the same but since monitors display pictures independent of the dpi amount you won't see any difference(apart from the file size maybe). 300 dpi is needed for print( try out print both versions, you will see the difference).

I use tga,then I give the director these tga sequences and he is using video toaster which is connected to a system ( I do not know what does it called) and store it in betacam and send it to tv.Now that's some very vague description. You are completeley leaving out anything of interest like compression settings of that video toaster or what you exactly doing with the sequence inside shake or at what point exactly the image displays wrong.

beaker
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
yes, dpi only has to do with printing. A 720x576 image at 72 and 300 dpi is exactly the same size image because all that matters is pixels. You can't add more pixels without going to HD. What resolution is the source material you captured and brought into shake?

As for the VT, maybe you should look at the quality that it is compressing the file to. PAL/NTSC are very low resolution images and there is a lot of data lost in overscan and the edge of the tube. In reality the actual part of the image you see is only like 4xx by 3xx. It is just a limitation of the format. Also the image is probably being interlaced on output and changed to YUV colorspace. It is just a limitation of the format.

Sapphire
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
beaker and scrimski,

you solve my wondering about the resolution,so can we say for the tv I keep it only 72 but for printing I keep it 300, is that correct.

I make eveything in Maya with no background and in Shake I composite these planes only and then I render them as tga sequences.

one day I gave the director two sequences, one sequence was only text rendered in Maya as tga and the other were sequences for the full project,that is the text with heart and logo which I composite and then render in Shake. The director got surprised how the first sequences (the text only)is larger than the second one ( the full project).

Then I come to know about the copression light in Shake that I have to make it off.

beaker
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
you solve my wondering about the resolution,so can we say for the tv I keep it only 72 but for printing I keep it 300, is that correct.No. As I said before dpi only depends with printing. So with video 72dpi and 300 dpi is exactly the same thing because 720x576 pixels is the same number of pixels no matter what dpi it is. Now when it comes to printing 300 dpi really depends your printer and what it is going out to, some people print 150, others print 300 or even 600.

one day I gave the director two sequences, one sequence was only text rendered in Maya as tga and the other were sequences for the full project,that is the text with heart and logo which I composite and then render in Shake. The director got surprised how the first sequences (the text only)is larger than the second one ( the full project).are you sure both rendered images we're the same resolution? Look at them both in an image editor to be sure. Text defaults to the global resolution which I bet you didn't have setup to 720x576. Once you put text over top of a Bg that is smaller or larger then it will essentially take on the Bg image resolution.

Sapphire
10-28-2009, 07:20 AM
ooops,

I mean the size of the folder which contains the image sequence of the text is larger than the size of the folder which contains the image sequence of the full project.

Each image in the sequence of the text was approximately 1.6 mb but each image in the sequence of the the full project was less than 1mb.

beaker
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahh, well that makes a big difference when you say "size". Maybe one is compressed tga and the other isn't or maybe one has an alpha in it and the other doesn't.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.