PDA

View Full Version : Best free software for learning

Burnsie
10-25-2009, 01:26 PM
hello.

Iím trying to get into 3d modeling (more modeling over painting or animation). Obviously, to start with I donít want to spend £1000s on software, so was reading the free software thread pinned at the top of this forum (I didnít want to thread hijack that thread, hence why I started my own).

So, what I want to know is, what is the best free software to use of a novice/newbie to get into 3d modeling?

Many thanks

B

Burnsie
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I expect this thread will get archived because there is no, 'best program'. Try the different options and learn the general techniques common to every modelling program, free or otherwise. If you're trying to land a job, learn the appropriate program. That's about it.

Hi R10K

thanks for the reply.

is there no "most popualr" one then? As i said, in just starting out. So, is it a case of chosing the one with, for example, the most video tutorials etc on the web?

many thanks

B

R10k
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I expect this thread will get archived because there is no, 'best program'. Try the different options and learn the general techniques common to every modelling program, free or otherwise. If you're trying to land a job, learn the appropriate program. That's about it.

KrzysztofFus
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Autodesk gives out their software for free when your learning.

http://students6.autodesk.com/?nd=home

Kanga
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Mod test.
Something is definitely up :)

Ah ok, everything back to normal
Check out my siggy for links to free software. Autodesk's offer is great but it's only for 6 months. You will need longer!

Cheers

MrPositive
10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Mod test.
Something is definitely up :)

Ah ok, everything back to normal
Check out my siggy for links to free software. Autodesk's offer is great but it only for 6 months. You will need longer!

Cheers

Many of my student's are also having a disaster of a time getting it to work on different OS's etc. Hopefully, they can get this thing more automated soon....yeesh.

Jettatore
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
The Softimage Mod Tool would be my suggestion.

iadagraca
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
i'd naturally mention blender, considering 4.5 is aiming to look more 'professional' and you get quite alot of tools in a small pakage, plus theres alot of support going with it as well(tutorals, plugins, model downloads, forums, etc) . not too complicated either...i figured most things out with out even needing to find a tutorial, but then again i've tried like every program i could get my hands on since 12 :P

anyway If you don't wanna have to find all kinds of programs for your needs, blender has it all in some form...(so you can avoid the questionalble route)

its a good start since i've found that once you learn one program you can learn them all :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.