PDA

View Full Version : commotion issue......

claytondouglas
08-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Ive been using commotion to roto out various things. I then render the files into uncompressed .mov and .avi to be composited in After Effects. But I keep having an issue where the area where the splines occupy wont render leaving a pixel wide black line when layered into an AE comp. I have tried using the feather option (for rotosplines)in Commotion but it usually makes the line more noticable......Im sure theres an easy fix but Im not finding it...Any suggestions?

Arioch
08-14-2003, 10:02 PM
It's been a while since I've used commotion but I've got an idea for you to try. Next to the feather amount field is a 3-state toggle button that determines if the feather takes place in the middle of the spline, on the spline and out, or on the spline and in. Try a very low feather number then change that toggle to inside, I think it defaults to middle.

If you have already tried that then I'm not sure what the best next step would be, perhaps you could choke the matte in a bit within AE.

victor throe
08-15-2003, 03:16 PM
is there any reason why you are not rendering to tga or tiff stills?

claytondouglas
08-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Good advice...but I tried that too. All three ways. No luck. You would think that would work. Im almost beginning to think that my version is screwed up. Its 4.0 and I got it from a friend. I only use it because the splines are so much easier to use than After Effects. I guess I need to learn Shake....maybe?

claytondouglas
08-16-2003, 12:37 PM
I havent noticed the option to do that. It only gives the options for avi, and other similar files....ill check further though
thanks

bartrobinson
08-20-2003, 10:08 PM
This is a stretch, but it may be you are interpreting the footage in After Effects, particularly the alpha channel setting incorrectly. It maybe the alpha channel is coming in straight when it should be set to premultiplied or the opposite. This could cause a halo of background color to show up around the object you roto'd.

Bart Robinson

claytondouglas
08-21-2003, 10:38 PM
good point...Ill let you know what turns up...

WhiteRabbitObj
08-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Yeah, it is almost certainly an issue with your alpha matte being interpreted wrong (it is my humble opinion that After Effects obfuscates interpretation a good deal most of the time). Also, definitely export from Commotion into Tiffs or Targas, this will give you de-interlaced images which are essential for compositing.

claytondouglas
08-23-2003, 08:23 PM
That sounds ok...Ill try that next....But forgive my inferior vocabulary.....What the hell does obfuscate mean?

claytondouglas
08-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey Rabbit.....I cant find where you get the option to render as Tiffs or Targas....It never gives the option....Do you know how to do that?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.