PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Fire effects

Martin_G_3D
08-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi,

How can I get realistic fire effects? meaning that it melts objects away and that the fire grows bigger

Cause when i select a object with a few objects aside it and I set the selected objects on fire and animate it then the other objects are unaffected.

Anyone knows this, or a link to a good tutorial?

Just starting with dynamics.

Jozvex
08-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Martin_G_3D
How can I get realistic fire effects? meaning that it melts objects away and that the fire grows bigger

Err I'm afraid that's a bit beyond what Maya (and every other program I've seen) can do using dynamics.

To have objects melting and the fire growing you'll need to animate things yourself.

DeathBrain
08-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Martin_G_3D
Cause when i select a object with a view objects aside it and I set the selected objects on fire and animate it then the other objects are unaffected.

Don't burn your original object, create a box with fire effects, then hide the box, you're able to create more than one "helper burning box" :thumbsup:

Martin_G_3D
08-15-2003, 03:58 AM
ah ok so what i want cannot be done by maya automaticly..

and yeah making a box with fire and hide it is a good idea

thnx

DeathBrain
08-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Yeap... so if you melt your object away, all you have to do is increase the box size then the fire grows bigger :)
Wanna automatically ? wait..preparing a small tutor ;)

DeathBrain
08-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Ok try my attachment
I used set driven key to control the box fire, if you push down the cluster on the nurbs (your melted object) then the box and fire will grows bigger automatically, all you have to do is hide the box :)

Martin_G_3D
08-15-2003, 02:02 PM
thats great man, thnx for the effort!

woodwoox
11-02-2003, 03:38 AM
how about its effect on the wall ? any tips ?

WhiteRabbitObj
11-02-2003, 04:43 AM
First off, woodwoox, what are you talking about with a wall? I cant find any reference in this post to a wall so I don't know what you mean and can't help ya.

As for setting something on fire and making the fire grow bigger, you could just make the object you're melting a softbody, then have that be a surface emitter and get the softbody to melt. Then you can key different attributes of your fire to grow as it melts. Another excellent thing you can do if you want the fire to crawl on the object as it burns, say, the fire spreads down as it melts or something, then you can use texture emission on your object so the surface emission only comes from a certain part. This only works for NURBS surfaces though so if it's polys, then you cant use surface emission :(

I'm not totally clear as to what you meant with this statement "Cause when i select a object with a few objects aside it and I set the selected objects on fire and animate it then the other objects are unaffected." so if you could explain it a little further I might be able to give a more specific solution as well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.