PDA

View Full Version : Maya waterfall

cowboy71
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey guys,
I have been searching high and low for some documentation on either using fluids or particles to create a gushing water effect. I found a few links to some nice simulations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hq6Sz2p_hE&feature=player_embedded) which is almost exactly what I'm going for. I'm kinda new to maya, about 6 months into it, and he really didn't go into detail about how achieved the effect. Would really appreciate any help. I do have realflow but just seems like the dynamics in maya is the way to go for this.

Thanks a bunch.
D

wallabee
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=721332&page=5

wallabee
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
The above is a link to the thread which contains the scene file for that waterfall you posted.

cowboy71
10-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Thank you so much. I'm so new and have been spending so much time with Maya, but I want to learn this stuff with a passion..
Thanks again.

wallabee
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Just a heads up -

Vikas's render of that waterfall is pretty good given it's Mental Ray. That said, the sim on it is a bit of a bear and just eats up hours. If you have RealFlow available to you, the speed difference you'll see simming in that and exporting a point cloud to Maya for render is probably well worth the trouble of learning it.

cowboy71
10-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I do have RF and have been playing with it for awhile now. So after the sim, I would just bring in the particle simulation and then I would kinda be stuck. But after looking at his file, I guess the best thing would be to turn them to cloud particles and texture then?
Appreciate it greatly. I know there is a lot of ways to go about this, after I searched for waterfall in this forum, which I probably should have done before posting. :)

But always great to hear advice on things.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2009, 07:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.