PDA

View Full Version : Questions on HP build

redneck9380
10-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've been wanting to get into 3d for a while and have decided to get a new HP. I configured it on their website and came up with the specs and price found below. I'll mainly be using blender, photoshop, gimp, and some yet-to-be-determined video editing program.

So, my questions are:

1. Would it be worth it to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate?

2. About the ram, I thought triple channel ram came in batches of 3 or 6 gigs, so why would HP have 8? Should I upgrade to 9GB for $30 or 12GB for $250?

3. Would an upgrade to a 1.8GB NVidia Geforce GTX 260 for $150 be money well spent?

4. On a side note, does anyone know when Intel is releasing the new i9 processor?

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/AndrewMosley/HPComputer.jpg

redneck9380
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
anyone????

Jettatore
10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with the 1GB ATI it's already got, but the NVidia option is a bit more powerful, not likely worth the extra $150 though, I'd save that cash for a future video card purchase a few years from now when you'll really feel the weight of the $150 your spending. That machine looks really good at first glance and I'd say you won't be getting too many needed extra bells and whistles by going with the other Windows 7 options, Home Premium 64 should be fine, but double check on the Windows 7 website to really know the difference between the 3, they have a comparison chart, it's not that big a difference.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

The 8 GB's it comes with is on 4x 2GB DIMMS. So if you want to stick more in later you'll have to replace the existing chips. You may save money if you buy the ram separately and install it yourself. From the price you've got quoted there I think you got a good thing going and I'd basically leave it as is, OR take out as much ram as you can and do that yourself for cheap.

Karnageddon
10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've been wanting to get into 3d for a while and have decided to get a new HP. I configured it on their website and came up with the specs and price found below. I'll mainly be using blender, photoshop, gimp, and some yet-to-be-determined video editing program.

So, my questions are:

1. Would it be worth it to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate?

2. About the ram, I thought triple channel ram came in batches of 3 or 6 gigs, so why would HP have 8? Should I upgrade to 9GB for $30 or 12GB for $250?

3. Would an upgrade to a 1.8GB NVidia Geforce GTX 260 for $150 be money well spent?

4. On a side note, does anyone know when Intel is releasing the new i9 processor?

I cant answer all of these for you but...

1. Refer to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions) and decide if it is worth it for you, as far as hardware advantages go, you should get the same with both pro and ultimate so personally I cant justify going ultimate.

2. *correction* Jettatore is right, it should work fine on dual channel. The quantity depends on what exactly you plan to do, if you're just starting off, 8gb should be enough to last you for quite a bit; when you start to get into real heavy modeling/sculpting, you may need more for increased render times or less memory related crashes during rendering. If you decide to go the path of buying your own memory, just make sure to check first and see if HP allows you to modify your hardware without voiding the warranty first.

4. Last I read, it was due to be released in Q1 of 2010, no idea of the price range.

redneck9380
10-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the replies,

About reducing the ram and buying my own, that's a no-go. 8 gig's is the minimum amount for this particular model, so you can add more if you want, but you can't choose to take less.

Basically, this build is as stripped down as I can make it, except for the speakers, monitor, and wireless keyboard and mouse that I added

Jettatore
10-27-2009, 03:35 AM
How much do they charge to fill it up for you? Buying 16GB separately will cost $500 or so, probably a lot cheaper if you did that later. Otherwise maybe you can request that the 8GB be on 2 chips instead of 4? That way at least you have the space for later. Either way I wouldn't stress it if it breaks the bank or they can't split it, because 8GB is great as well in a few years, that $500 number will go way down to something more affordable.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2009, 03:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.