PDA

View Full Version : What qualifications are needed for being a good animator?

UKing
10-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi, there. I am a student interesting in character animation. And I want to be a good animator one day. So far I mainly improve myself through tutorials from Internet, which in my opinion are mostly related to technical skills. Currently I have one question in my mind and I need to find someone answer it for me, that is if one day you can master these technical skills learned from tutorials, what else should be acquired to improve yourself further, I mean to animate better.

So my question is that: In you opinion, what qualifications are needed for being a good animator?

Until now I have some ideas that maybe in order to animate well, you firstly need to know some physical knowledge to make your animation believable. And then you are supposed to learn something about performance skill to endow your characters with some human personalities.

I donít know whether I am on the right track. So your help is important for me and any advice is appreciated.

By the way, I am planning to apply a master program on animation in USA and wish to learn a lot about animation from college besides those technical stuffs. Do you think my plan is practical?

Appreciate your time. Thanks.

robcat2075
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
-great patience
-ability to remain focused on task
-strong observation skills
-being able to use printed resources like manuals (still important in using CG software)
-ability to follow direction (99% of animation work is on someone else's vision, not yours)

I'm sure others will add to this

By the way, I am planning to apply a master program on animation in USA and wish to learn a lot about animation from college besides those technical stuffs. Do you think my plan is practical? I'm very doubtful that an advanced degree would be superior to having spent the time on real work experiences.

I'd be surprised if any Masters program in animation has merit except as a license to teach at the college level.

bstout
11-16-2009, 02:48 AM
take mime (corporeal mime, le coq or something like that)
study martial arts.
do it with your body so you understand.
study charlie chaplin

this is for character animation, BG artists should paint and draw.

UKing
11-16-2009, 07:02 AM
take mime (corporeal mime, le coq or something like that)
study martial arts.
do it with your body so you understand.
study charlie chaplin

this is for character animation, BG artists should paint and draw.

Thanks for your advices. I now feel more clear about the direction of future work.

DrGast
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey UKing

First of all go out and observe :-)
Youll get the best ideas by observing people in day to day situations.
Study Body Mechanics and maybe take some Life Drawing Classes take video reference of yourself...

Id recommend Books like:
- The Illusion of Life
- The animators Survival Kit
- Character Animation Crash Course

But at the end its all about the Performance of your character... if you sell the emotions and the point of the shot in a clear and original way youre halfway done :-)

If you think about an education... better go and do something specialized like Animation Mentor...

Hope this was helpful
Cheers

UKing
11-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks, guys.
Yeah, observing people in day to day situations will be a great way to learn poses and body mechanics.

Pangloss
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
There are some PDFs on the AnimationMentor website that might interest you (their Tips&Tricks eBooks are great too).

Maxim_311
11-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Yes to a lot of what was said above...observe, read some of the notable animation books, etc.

But lest we forget...ACTUALLY SIT DOWN AND ANIMATE!

Practice practice practice practice practice.

I cannot stress this enough. You have to sit down and tell yourself that there is someone out there, twice as talented as you, working on their reel at this very moment about to apply for the same job you are...and trust me...there is.

I also have to completely agree about patience...animation is a battle between you and the computer...you need to be patient

And PLAN ...know in your head what you want to do before you do it. "happy accidents" are a bad thing in animation. Cause if your ever asked or expected to do it again you cant...cause it was a accident.

Thats just random stuff off the top of my head.

Berax0r
11-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry for spamming your thread mate but i am interesed in animation and moddeling. Can you tell me do i need to be a good at drawing for this two things, because i am not good in it? Thanks in advance! :)

CADster
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
-ability to follow direction (99% of animation work is on someone else's vision, not yours)

dead on right here !!

100% correct.

dont laugh.. its the hardest part of my job and has been for as long as ive been
doing this kind of work.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.