PDA

View Full Version : how to destroy a building/statue

jinx3d
10-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi,

I'd like to know how to destroy an object in Maya. In my case a statue and a bulding.
If you can give me some pointers or even better point me to a tutorial that explains how to do it I'd really appreciate it.
I'm prettymuch a newbie when it comes to dynamics in Maya.

thank you ALL. :D

MartinRomero
10-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi there,

Well, In my opinion as a vfx guy, Maya's rigid body dynamics, is not very good. I am a Maya and Houdini user however for something like a building being destroyed I would probably just use RayFire, this is a 3DS Max third party plugin, I used it on some of the shots on my demo reel, I would do the destruction in 3Ds max then I would export the backed animation from the destroyed objects as fbx and import them into Maya.

I know this could be a pain but until Maya or someone else comes out with something better than the basic rigid body stuff I would have sticky to this workflow.
later,

Martin

DynamicBoy
10-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Try the pulldownit plugin for Maya, it is intended specially for breaking objects, and collapse structures or buildings, the standard version is for free.

here a sample of what it is able to do,

http://www.vimeo.com/6666798

cheers

TheRispo
10-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree with martin.. maya's rigid bodies are definetly not the best, and the shatter script is worse. So if you try to demolish a building using maya's toolset you're in for a headache.

Most of the time I use rayfire for handling everything in the demolition. But you can also try using rayfire for just pre-shattering your model, bring the pieces back to maya and make the symulation using bullet physics
http://bulletphysics.org

jinx3d
10-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Thank you for your replys. :thumbsup: I appreciate it.

@DyanmicBoy: thanks. I've looke into the site and I'll try the 'lite' version. Had no idea this plugin was out.

@MartinRomero / TheRispo: I assume you two are Maya users, right? What would be the correct workflow to implement a MAX scene of demolition into a MAYA scene? FBX?
So, do you just do the destruction in MAX on a normal object (no texture, no lights) and than you export everthing in Maya, or you do everything in MAX(textures, same lights) as maya?

Thank you for your help.

cheers

TheRispo
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi jinx3d... this is currently my workflow for handling such tasks. But of course, mine is not the only way of doing things.

1. Model, map and texture everything in maya, I tend to do my textures before shattering.
2. Export my models as .FBX to max, this includes the main object to destroy, as well as all the passive objects that will interact with the debris. I don't worry about lighting or shading in max, since everything will be rendered latter on in Maya.
3. Simulate using Rayfire, is an awesome plugin, has features such as impact-based shattering and interactive demolition (a large chunk of debris falls to the ground from high enough/fast enough, and breaks into smaller chunks).
4. Bake everything to keys and send it back to maya .fbx format.
5. Light, fluid/particle fx & render

So far I've had pretty nice results using this technique.. not infallible tough, sometimes this could give you a couple of headaches...Why can't we maya users have nice things (rayfire, thinking particles, ICE)?

DynamicBoy
10-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Hey Risto, with pulldownit plugin you can do all that you mention inside Maya, objects collide and breaks regarding the impact point, and actually the most powerfull solver for massive rigid bodies sim, try the demo is awesome.

MartinRomero
10-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Hey Dynamicboy,

I'll give pull-down a try very soon. I have done the steps that TheRispo (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=395634) mentioned and we should have something like that in Maya so I'll give pulldown a try maybe this week. I am teaching a dynamics class at the Academy of Art University and I want to really get my hands on something rather than RayFire just because we are gonna be using Maya or Houdini, anyways

Cheers and good luck.

Martin

MartinRomero
10-26-2009, 01:18 AM
The TheRispo posted the workflow that we pretty much have done, thanks

Martin

jinx3d
10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Thank you guys.

One another question and than I'll copy paste this into a DOC file for later use. :D

@TheRispo:
What do you mean with step 4. Bake everythnig into keys. I understand you make the simulation, but how do you bake it in MAX. Does rayfire give you an option? How do you do it?

I promise I won't bother you again after this, probably. ;D

thank you.

TheRispo
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
EDIT: sorry about the misleading info, before.. but rayfire bakes all the sim to keys by default.... HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

mir-vadim
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Jose. Thanks for your help in Maya\Max\Maya workflow, :)
but RayFire bakes all simulation into keys by default, there are two ways to create simulation. First one is Preview, it doesn't save animation, so when you will turn it off you will get your original animation back. Second one is Bake Animation mode which will do exactly what you want.
So, you don't need use Bake Group tool, it is to bake animation for objects inside group and delete group helper. Sometimes that can be helpful.

TheRispo
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info Mir.. I guess I was doing some extra, unnedded steps in my workflow and I feel kind of silly now jeje.. Anyway.. is awesome to have the very author of the rayfire plugin to correct your mistakes.

mir-vadim
10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Heh, no worries man, this is not a mistake. :)

stooch
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Heh, no worries man, this is not a mistake. :)

hey vadim any plans for a maya version?

mir-vadim
10-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry guys, but no plans for near future. :blush:

TheRispo
10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
man!.. rayfire for maya would be da bomb!...
BTW I downloaded the pulldownit plugin yesterday.. I'm gonna give it a try... anyone else have used it?

Wick3dParticle
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

Joining in a little late here, but I think you can get some pretty cool results using ncloth and any of the free shatter scripts available on the net. You can shatter your statue or building, combine the shards and convert it to ncloth. Next just apply rigid values to your ncloth, and sim it. Using a volume axis field is a good option for adding explosive motion.

~Ilan

jinx3d
10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
hey vadim any plans for a maya version?

+1 Would also like to know this. :D

jinx3d
10-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey all,

Joining in a little late here, but I think you can get some pretty cool results using ncloth and any of the free shatter scripts available on the net. You can shatter your statue or building, combine the shards and convert it to ncloth. Next just apply rigid values to your ncloth, and sim it. Using a volume axis field is a good option for adding explosive motion.

~Ilan

Wow, never thought of this one. Thanks will look into this workflow.

Well, if I use nCloth for hair why not for destruction, right? lol

Oh, a question.
How do you shater the model? You do it manually or is there a script. I'm not looking for the easy way out, just looking for information before I sink my teeth into the animation of my short.

cheers

avillabon
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey all,

~Ilan

That sounds very interesting! Care to elaborate a bit more on this approach?

Thanks ilan!

Alex

TheRispo
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey all,

~Ilan

Mhh that's right.. maybe you could also use ncloth to do the simulation.. I think there's a tutorial on that on Phil Wittmer's site, but is for members only:
http://www.modernmayhem.com/windowshatter.html

arkangel-fx
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM

Oh, a question.
How do you shater the model? You do it manually or is there a script. I'm not looking for the easy way out, just looking for information before I sink my teeth into the animation of my short.

cheers

There's a Voroni Shatter here on CGTalk developed over some other thread with colaboration from many users. Search for "dg_voroPy" or "dg_voro". Then convert your shatters into ncloth and make them rigid, simulate, bake, tweak, etc.

jinx3d
10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
There's a Voroni Shatter here on CGTalk developed over some other thread with colaboration from many users. Search for "dg_voroPy" or "dg_voro". Then convert your shatters into ncloth and make them rigid, simulate, bake, tweak, etc.

cheers, i think it's this one.
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/poly-tools/c/dg_voro_py--2

tomorrow will try on a simple cube. can't wait.

MartinRomero
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
There is the man right there,

Good to see ya here Mir-Vadim, I love RayFire, great tool. I wish you had it for Maya also, :(
Anyways
Martin

Wick3dParticle
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Oh, a question.

cheers

There are multiple scripts for shattering on the net. Depending on which studio Im at, sometimes I will use in house shatter techniques. After you shatter, you do a poly combine. When you convert it to Ncloth, it only used 1 cloth node for all the debris. Then you make it rigid by tweaking the resistance attributes, DO NOT USE RIGIDITY using this technique. Then you can add forces or collision objects to destroy.

~Ilan

arkangel-fx
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
The method Wik3d stated earlier works great. Much much faster than comon RB's. Im actually rendering some quick test i did so you can see the results. Nothing tweaked, just shattered with my own script, combined, made ncloth, simulated, rendered. As soon as render finished ill upload a lil vid.

MartinRomero
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Wick3dParticle (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=180094),

Thanks for sharing that technique. I have been playing with pulldownit plugin and it is pretty sweet, I will recommend you guys trying it out.

Martin

avillabon
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
i got the demo from their site but it wont let me shatter... are you running the demo yourself? or have a full license?

What are you guys using to shatter?

Alex

arkangel-fx
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok, here is the video:

http://vimeo.com/7399969

PD: avillabon, voroni's method gives some very nice results. You can write your own script or use some of the scripts posted here in the forums or on creativecrash.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.