PDA

View Full Version : My first ever demoreel

JaredTaylor
10-24-2009, 03:59 AM
I'd love some criticism on what is my first ever demoreel. It mainly focuses on character design.

About me: I'm a hobbyist, keen on learning animation (and only just started yesterday), and have spent a couple of years on and off learning modeling. I still can't texture or rig very well at all. Thinking about doing a 3 year course in animation in 2010.

http://www.vimeo.com/7229841

colus
10-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Its very hard commenting on a first (ever) demo reel. First off, its great that youre working on your hobby and keeping at it. If youre considering going to study animation the choice will come up soon whether you want to make that hobby into a professional career. Its a big choice but whatever you decide I wish you the best.

On the reel:
A demo reel is exactly this; to show off what you can do in a specific discipline. So you have to show people what you did and not tell them. I would suggest that instead of having a still image up saying this character has 60 blendshapes, show us. Have a clip of the facial animation in action.

I cant crit your animation because you only started yesterday :) I can say that animation is the most time consuming, frustrating thing you can ever do...but man the rewards are unbelievable. Ive loved every second of it.

Keep us updated on your progresses :thumbsup:

Colus.

JaredTaylor
10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
That's some really helpful advice, thank you for the kind words :bounce:

Even after posting it I decided I didn't like my reel at all. And I broke it back down into separate parts - I just need a portfolio not a reel, and at the school I'm not just sending it to them, I'm going there and showing them, so I can talk about each part separately and explain my intentions and the possibilities.

I actually tried facial animation for the first time last night, and it was truly beyond me, I tried using the clip on 11secondclub.com's competition site, and didn't know where to begin, I started blocking out the body animations, but it just looked bland, and when it came to trying to make him talk things went downhill quickly. At least I learned how to import audio onto a timeline, I guess ;)

I'm going to give it another go though. If I can't, I'll do it using my character intended for body (not facial) animation so I have something more to show in the way of animating, its good practice at least.

And I agree with your statement about animation being rewarding, although I haven't found it too frustrating yet... yet!

CGOutcast
10-25-2009, 04:11 AM
For being a newcomer it was pretty good, but like the previous poster said for the blend shapes they would want to see it in action, as far as the models with the turnarounds make sure that from every angle the models look well balanced and not leaning over like theyre about to fall, it shows you understand the physics of weight and anatomy. I usually would just eyeball a model and if it feels like it would tip over in reality I tweak it some more. Glad to hear you want to pursue an education in this medium and it looks like you are really motivated if you did this reel as a hobby. I'm gonna be uploading an animation reel soon and all can say about your animation is that its great if thats your starting point with no previous experience so keep it up and good luck!

JaredTaylor
10-25-2009, 04:32 AM
hey... thanks! :)

4 low
10-26-2009, 04:37 AM
After some formal education, you'll be able to better decide what you want to do, be it modeling, animation, or otherwise.

If you go the modeling route, show models, and show the details that go into creating the model. In addition to beauty renders, also show wireframe renders of the models. It's important to prospective employers how you use mesh, and if you use it efficiently or not.

If you go the animation route, show actual animations, such as facial expressions, body language, and weight. If you can animate a character that tells a story without having to use any spoken dialogue, you've already made an impression to an employer.

Just remember that most employers will watch your video in fast-motion, not listening to audio. If you can't capture their attention in a fast-motion non-audio video, then you probably won't get a call back for an interview.

Best advice is to decide first what path you want to follow. Then look and see what others in that same career field are doing. Follow the good examples, and ignore the bad. Figure out your own way of doing/showing something that they haven't done yet. That will give you an advantage over the others that are going after the same job.

An example would be, if you're going after modeling, show steps leading up to your beauty pass. Show your model, but also show your wireframe, your texture maps, your compositing layers, and show the steps you took to achieve your final look. If you're going animation, show your characters full range of body and facial movement, and show character interaction with other animate (additional character, for example) and inanimate objects, such as scene props. Also, show your animation rigs.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2009, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.