PDA

View Full Version : Possible to Glue objects in a Rigid Dynamics Sim?

soulburn3d
10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Is it possible to "Glue" objects together as part of a rigid dynamics simulation using maya's default rigid dynamics engine? As in, you take one object, glue it to the next (like the pin constraint), however, once a certain threshold is reached of force applied to the glue, it will break and the objects will separate?

- Neil

Skittixch
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
This is exactly what I'd like to know as well...I'm a maya nub, but from what I see, there are certain 3rd party plugins to help with this like blastcode...but I'm just bumping this question cause I'm in the same boat here.

HowardM
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
you could try ncloth :)

nconstraints are ok for glueing or faking joints that break under pressure and you can tweak ncloth to be psuedo-rigid bodies... but it will probably take alot of tweaking...

DynamicBoy
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Pin constraint works right in Maya , but it creates a ball-socket joint between the objects with only one point of glue, obviusly you can always completely glue two objets in Maya by using mesh->combine, but probably what you are looking for is a way to glue the objets and then break the connection by an impact when simulating, Maya is not able to do this.

I recommend you the Pulldownit plugin, it makes this by default by simply creating a fracture body for the objects and the great thing is you can make the same for an unlimited number of objects , you can try it by using the demo version, this feature is included.

Skittixch
11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
interesting...I'll definitely check out pulldownit...Though I will say that I got some great results with ncloth after a day of experimentation. It's not perfect, and it takes some manual tweaking of collision settings over time, but it's looking pretty slick so far! I've gotten a wall that looks like it's buckling under its own and collapsing into a pile of rubble. There's a little interpenetration, but not enough to bother me (plus it's nothing a little particle work can't cover up)

but thanks so far guys! The 3d community never ceases to amaze me with instant feedback

Eric

DynamicBoy
11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
oh Man,

I have just seen your reel , you are the one of the lost episode with realflow and ivy generator, I love this shot.

I must say you the developer of pulldownit is also the author of realfow rigid bodies, he left NL after achieving the academy award last year, so it is for sure you are going to enjoy this new tool.

Skittixch
11-04-2009, 03:59 AM
! Damn! :D thanks! That totally made my day!

soulburn3d
11-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. A shame it can't be done using the regular dynamics, but I may try the ncloth trick, and I'm already looking at a bunch of Dynamics / Demolition plugins, hopefully one of them will have everything I'm looking for.

- Neil

Skittixch
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I just uploaded a playblast of the technique we're working on here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNXZ-LVrcQ4

there are some inherent issues with using ncloth for every aspect of the destruction, but with other debris and particle work, it could create a really compelling layer or two imo

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.