PDA

View Full Version : structure please!

Sinister
08-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Lately there has been an extreme increase in 2D art. yes very nice most of them. But please dont mix the 2d and 3d up. Have one gallery for 2d and one for 3d. It's frustrating to have them mixed.

I personally would also see a decrease in frontpage 2d art and an increase in 3d. but maybe thats just me. Prehaps it would be possible to set a cookie if you want to have 2d or 3d frontpage art?

Anyhow please seperate the 2d and 3d gallery

Kirt
08-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are going to be in the minority opinion with this suggestion. CGTalk isn't a 3D site, it's a community of digital artists, which includes many 2D illustrators. Exclusion or segregation of these contributors would be a very bad idea and would destroy the overall feel of the site.

I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the 2D artists as much as the 3D, but I doubt that the Admins are going to change anything that would allow members to alienate a large percentage of postings on CGTalk.

Anyway, I think a lot of the 3D artists enjoy seeing 2D concepts and finished illustrations because they inspire ideas that can be created in 3D applications.

If you'd like to see more 3D plugs and images in the gallery, all that I can suggest is for you to create more 3D images that are fantastic and inspiring. The Mods and Admins aren't being particular to plug more 2D work ... they just plug what's creative, inspiring and "holy crap!" cool.

Sinister
08-16-2003, 05:41 PM
I think you missunderstood my post. My idea was to seperate the 3d and 2d in the same gallery. not to remove 2d from this site. Just as game art is seperated from ordinary art and so on, and the idea to have the option so the user was able to "choose" what he would like to see plugged, so if you were intrested only in 3d art only that would appear. but that was just an idea

leigh
08-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Excuse me, but we have enough work to do already moderating the forums that we have.
As Kirt already pointed out (and I think he understood your question perfectly), this is a forum for ALL digital artists, and in terms of a gallery we do not see the necessity for segregation.

Kirt
08-17-2003, 01:08 AM
No, I understood you perfectly. You want a customizable interface that would allow you to eliminate the viewing of 2D artwork on the site (or visa versa if the user so chooses).

What I'm saying is that by doing so, users would then be able to alienate themselves from contributions by either 2D or 3D artists. Not a good idea if you ask me. And I'm not saying so just because I'm a 2D artist.

I'm saying so because it's never a good idea to segregate a community of members with simular interests. When it comes down to the bare essentials, I think CGTalk is more about people with a passion for digital art in entertainment (games, TV, movies, etc.). Reguardless of whether you're a 2D or 3D artist, the common interest is what binds us all together into a network of like minded individuals.

Just think of the potential contacts you could miss out on if you were able to ignore the postings of a 2D concept artist (Feng, Hawkprey, Mullins, Sparth - are a few good examples).

CGTalk is here to bring the artists together, not separate them into groups.

I'm really sorry that you're not as interested in what the other artists are contributing, but in my honest opinion it's your loss. You're missing out on one of the benifits of being a part of CGTalk.

But, if you still want only 3D viewing, I have some good news for you. The CGNetworks Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery.php) is catagorized by 3D and 2D entries. I'm afraid that's going to be the best you're going to get with this suggestion.

Sinister
09-09-2003, 05:11 PM
thank you for dividing the 2d and 3d up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.