PDA

View Full Version : nCaching Problems

JoshM
10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey Guys,
I am just curious if anyone else has experienced problems with nParticles and nCaching?

I have been using Maya 2009 with nParticles for quite some time now and I have had no luck with getting nCaching to work properly. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. The biggest problem that I have ran into is MayaBatch not reading the nCache while network rendering. I know that the Maya command line renderer is reading my project directory correctly (textures are found, images rendered to the images directory, etc). But sometimes Maya will just decide to not use the nCache. For example, I'll setup a project to render across the network and it will read the nCache no problem. Then if the scene needs to be rerendered (shader change or something) and then maya will not read the nCache. But this isn't always the behavior, its random when it won't read the nCache not just when I rerender. I can have setup 10 particle shots to render that all have nCaches and 8 will render without problems, while two of them won't read the cache.

I have had absolutely no luck what so ever with attaching an existing cache to the same nParticle shape in a different scene. It creates the cache node on the nParticle shape, but it will not read the cache. I have to constantly create the same cache for each identical particle shape in each scene.

The old particle caching system may have been extremely limited on editing it after it has been created, but it ALWAYS worked. nCaching on the other hand seems to surprise me when it does work! Sorry to rant and I hope there is something that I am doing totally wrong, but this has just been extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

rxgeez
10-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Yeah I absolutely agree with you. I've been using nParticles now for the last couple months and I seem to have all kinds of weird issues with them and nCaches. I thought it was just something I was doing wrong but it's nice to hear there are others.

I've had an issue where I had 2 nParticle shapes in a scene and I cache them both. They seem to be working and reading the cache when I save. When I reopen and scrub, 1 of the nParticle shapes is frozen...if i delete the cache on it, it sometimes works again or sometimes its busted.

I've also had an issue where I'll cache a scene and save it with the current time set somewhere in the timeline other then back at zero and when I reopen it and try to scrub the timeline the particles wont read the cache. But if I rewind the timeline back to 0 and save the scene and reopen it...they work and read the cache just fine. I've also had the same issue but in reverse...the nParticles only read the cache if the timeline was set somewhere in the cache range when saved....very strange stuff.

I love the idea of nCaches and being able to just point the cache to a specific directory but with all the issues I have had with nParticles just not working properly and the lack of doing some per-particle attrs I tend to just use the old particles for everything.

Unless you absolutely need some of the few features that nParticles provide I would suggest just making the best of the old particles until they fix all the weirdness with nParticles...just my 2 cents.

stooch
10-25-2009, 03:11 AM
if you guys can get away with it, try to bake the dynamic sim to keyframes.

i also have issues with fluid ncaches. so i tend to render locally since its relatively fast.

Yeah I absolutely agree with you. I've been using nParticles now for the last couple months and I seem to have all kinds of weird issues with them and nCaches. I thought it was just something I was doing wrong but it's nice to hear there are others.

I've had an issue where I had 2 nParticle shapes in a scene and I cache them both. They seem to be working and reading the cache when I save. When I reopen and scrub, 1 of the nParticle shapes is frozen...if i delete the cache on it, it sometimes works again or sometimes its busted.

I've also had an issue where I'll cache a scene and save it with the current time set somewhere in the timeline other then back at zero and when I reopen it and try to scrub the timeline the particles wont read the cache. But if I rewind the timeline back to 0 and save the scene and reopen it...they work and read the cache just fine. I've also had the same issue but in reverse...the nParticles only read the cache if the timeline was set somewhere in the cache range when saved....very strange stuff.

I love the idea of nCaches and being able to just point the cache to a specific directory but with all the issues I have had with nParticles just not working properly and the lack of doing some per-particle attrs I tend to just use the old particles for everything.

Unless you absolutely need some of the few features that nParticles provide I would suggest just making the best of the old particles until they fix all the weirdness with nParticles...just my 2 cents.

Albo
10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
hello guys!

One year ago I've got some problems with ncache, and can I give you a little advice?
Report to Autodesk! Is a stupid thing, and probably you have already done it. But I wrote for the other readers.
If you have a very predictable bug, you can spend one hour and create a simple scene. Then report the but in the Autodesk site, there are 2 place, one if you have the maintenance and one if you haven't.
I wrote probably 4,5 times in the last year and every time someone help me to resolve the problem, or add the issue to list for future bug fixes.
In this way, if many people report the bug, probably Autodesk spend money to resove it. And remember, there are no people in the Autodesk staff that spend the day reading our problems in this or other forum.
After that, I have to say that 3 months ago I have found a bug that is in Maya since version 4.0

good luck!

king21
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM

I have the same problem If i don't set maya on start frame it will not play from cache next time i open the scene. What a stupid bug. I have some custom expressions on nParticles.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem jet?

Thanks in advance
Jure

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.