PDA

View Full Version : Is this a job for maxscipt?

VAJAD
10-23-2009, 09:08 AM
My question involves the rollout components for Max. I've always been annoyed by some UI behaviors but this one really bugs me. I rarely if at all need to have more than one rollout expanded at a time. I would like for Max to collapse the previous rollout when I select a new one. Ideally the behaviour would be set as default for all extensive menus with an option to disable it if needed. It seems to me like this kind of control would be built in already. Is there a script or obscure setting for something like this?

BTW, yes, I'll feel stupid if this is some simple setting that I just haven't found.

FYI, on 2010(x64), Vista

PEN
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
There is not, I like all rollouts to be open for the most part and pull the modifier panel off and place it on my second monitor. You can right click on any rollout and get a list of all rollouts that you can then navigate quickly to. You might be able to set something up in Max script but I have a feeling that it wouldn't work really well. Could be wrong how ever as I have never even thought about writing something like this until now.

VAJAD
10-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Paul... I am doing the same thing but I find myself constantly rearranging my second monitor. I have a couple custom UI configs saved which helps a little. Also, since the Mat editor, render setup and various other items behave the same way I still always end up scrolling alot more then one should have to. Not to mention the time spent having to find your place or losing focus, even if for a moment, after expanding a rollout. Y'know it all adds up... Oh well, I guess I'll just keep tossing that time into the wasted energy pile! I'll add it with the time it takes to close an object properties window, select another object and right click to open another object's properties window instead of just populating the properties form with the newly selected object info (or at least give me the option of opening multiple property windows). What things nickle and dime your time in Max? Subject for a book I suppose.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2009, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.