PDA

View Full Version : turning off MasterBeauty Pass

skdzines
10-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Can anyone tell me how to turn off the Master Beauty Pass? I have followed this tutorial on how to set up render passes for maya 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lI8Any9rg&feature=related

This works well, but if I am rendering multiple frames, I get a master beauty pass for every frame. The master beauty takes about 3 minutes to render per frame where as all of my individual passes (AO, diffuse, specular, etc..) only take a few seconds each.

The purpose of rendering in passes is really defeated when I still get a beauty pass for every frame.

Can someone please help?

Galakgorr
10-23-2009, 12:58 AM
the purpose of rendering in passes in the first place is that all those individual passes (diffuse, specular, etc.) are being calculated anyways as you render the master beauty pass. there is no way i know of to get these without rendering the beauty pass... it wouldn't take any less time anyways since you're just taking those individual buffers and writing them as separate images before maya merges them into the final image.

skdzines
10-23-2009, 01:22 AM
well then I'm completely confused. I understand that maya needs all of those separate passes in order to combine them and create the beauty pass. What I don't understand is that if I tweak just my shadows and render out 500 frames of just shadow passes to then composite those images in after effects, I have to wait for 500 frames to render out at 3 minutes each before I can do anything with the other images I really want.

So in short I have to wait hours for what should only take minutes. What am I missing here?

FrizzleFry0
10-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Unfortunately the pass system starts with rendering the beauty and understands what information went into, and thus breaks the beauty apart to the separate passes. Because many of the parameters' "passes" relies heavily on other elements already being there (reflections for example), it would already have to have the entire visible scene rendered just to create an accurate reflection pass.

Simpler passes like diffuse, shadow, and specular can be done using the layer override system. All the presets from 2008 are still in 2009, but just hidden - right click on a new render layer and go to attributes. Click up in the presets and you'll see all the overrides from previous versions of maya. Those will generate some of the basic and faster passes without rendering a beauty render.

You also have the option of creating very specific outputs from shaders, like MIA's occlusion, by using writetoColorBuffer nodes.

Hope this helps.

Galakgorr
10-23-2009, 02:56 AM
for shadows specifically look into using the mip_matteshadow shader (assuming you're using mental ray). you can render out luminance mattes for areas covered by shadow and use those to adjust your shadows in post.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2009, 02:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.