PDA

View Full Version : Drop Out - Animted Short (takes 3 minutes of your time)

ravama
10-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi everyone,

here is our short film called "Drop Out"
A 3D animation with a hand-crafted and stop motion animated minitaure set in the background. It was a semester project by 6 students in the first year of our master studies.

the homepage: http://drop-out.at

the vimeo link: http://www.vimeo.com/7129398

running time : 3 minutes

software : Maya, ZBrush, Boujou, Photoshop, After Effects, some additional photo capturing software

critiques and comments are of course very welcome

floju
11-12-2009, 11:01 PM
that's awesome dude! :) very well done!
i'm wondering why nobody has replied yet!
cheers

ravama
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
well, there are no spaceships/monsters in it and its not a professional animation per se. maybe that is a cause for the lack of interest.

nevertheless i will bore you with a 1 minute making of video since i already have created it:
http://www.vimeo.com/7617128

alviniss
11-16-2009, 06:49 AM
my first interpretation being:

many go through life eyes closed without questioning or understanding things and those that attempt to do this are not accepted or else not very adept themselves to the system.
that is the role of an artist, so my sociology teacher always said... so i say he's an artist.

is this painfully obvious or not even close...i'm terrible at interpretations.

Gabor
11-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Really nice short!
It totally worthed that 3+1 minutes ;)

The cg animation could be more stopmotion-like (using stepped tangents/constant interpolation) to have a more consistent style of movement.

ravama
11-17-2009, 12:46 AM
I really don't know if i should comment on your interpretation since I like things to be a bit open for interpretion and having windows for the viewer to see different shapes in the clouds himself. My experience of art is often destroyed when reading the commentary or hear the artist talking about the "meaning"

... so i only give you a vague but long statement, since i just had to write it anyway:

Main theme of the film is the selection in our society. Essentially a natural process, but in this context it is portrayed very artificial, sterilized and implemented via very inhuman mechanics.

The process of selecting humans is omnipresent in our society. It becomes reflected in applications, immigrations, abortions and maybe in near future the pre-selection of the own children because of small unwanted genetic influences.

After all everybody wants the perfect successor, if he canít stay on earth forever himself.

The problem of the proceeding overpopulation and the consequent drastic reducing of resources give pre-selection also eligibility. The film describes a fictional vision, if one of the last ethical hurdles is jumped: the large-area pre-selection of the next generation.

if I would have to be specific about the character of the rejected doll, then i would have to say i really like your interpretation, altough you think it is obvious.

Edit: Just wondering myself how pretentious this all sounds on second reading :D Hey, in the end I was just hoping to get the mood across playing with your emotions and brains

Edit 2nd: Thanks. If you enjoyed the 3 minutes, than that is the biggest compliment, you can give me.

I agree, maybe the overall animation look could have been tended more into the stopmotion direction. One thing i can't change now, but would likely force to try if i was doing the project all over again. We did tests in this direction, but walkcycles did look clumsy and not that well "mind-clocked" (can't find an english term describing the german word "getaktet" correctly) like they did in this interpolated animation style.

alviniss
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
that reminds me of "gattaca" (loved that movie).

on interpretations: i personally need to know what the artist meant.
if interpretation is whatever anyone wants it to be, then the work is meaningless to me.
an artist getting lost in his/her own abstraction, well i guess there is a place for that too.
but that's just my opinion :beer:

ravama
11-21-2009, 09:51 PM
as a matter of fact Gattaca, Brazil and Jan Svankmajer were the biggest influences during the conceptual phase. good catch ;D

asche
12-22-2009, 01:23 AM
as usual, awesome stuff from these guys ! waiting to see more ....

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2009, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.