PDA

View Full Version : Finding a suitable modeling/animation course?

Richwood
10-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello!

I have recently been trying to find a suitable university which suits my skills, which I want to become more proficient in. I'm specifically looking for a masters degree in modeling and animation, but I seem to have stumbled into a problem.

I have a request to stay in europe for my studies, and I can only seem to find suitable courses in the US. The most profound one being The Art Institute. Although I've heard the AI schools vary a lot in quality I still won't be attending due to the factor that its on another continent... I have looked up Escape studios but they only seem to have "short" classes, and not satisfactory year evaluations, and as I mentioned I'm interested in a masters! I've also seen some other courses but I'm interested to know if some of you people in the community have a profound knowledge on where I might find a good university to study.

So my question really is, where can I find a university which serves my interests?

Thanks in advance,

André Boström

danielHinton
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Andre,

Is there any specific reason that you need a masters degree for? For example, a job? I only ask because a lot of masters are very self-study based - you pick the course, then you propose a thesis/study path, then you research it etc etc.

It's likely that you'll reach an equal/greater degree of proficiency via self-study from books and hundreds of hours of practice, or via online courses like Gnomon or Animation Mentor.

This will mean that you're likely to save the vast amounts of money it costs to fund a masters (accommodation, tuition) and save it up for better equipment/studio space/further training.

The reason I say all this is that our industry is still in it's infancy. Academic courses tend to focus on software rather than technique.

--Anyway:

Here's a couple of examples from the UK:

http://imaging.dundee.ac.uk/main/courses/20070514121459/446.html

http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/course.aspx?course=99

carterbaker
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
You want to stay in Europe and you have found the suitable course in US. My suggestion would be to go for online education in which you need not to move anywhere for classes and all. Moreover, you can complete your degree while sitting at home in front of your computer and besides education you can take care of your other responsibilities also. US universities are amongst the best online education providers.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.