PDA

View Full Version : Characters With Clothing - General Stuff

IronWarrior
10-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Okay, after having some fun with turbosmooth and hard surface modelling, I decided to try my hand at some character stuff. I just made Boba Fett's helmet, so I decided it would be convenient to make the rest of him, too! Here's a picture of him for anyone who doesn't know who Boba Fett is.

http://www.edandmari.com/starwars/images/BobaFett.jpg

Yeah he's badass.

Before I do this, however, I was wondering a few thingys...

- Since I don't plan to ever have my character wearing any other outfit than this, is there ANY point to making a base character (wearing nothing) and then modelling clothes over him? Seems like it would just create massive animating issues and isn't worth the trouble.

- I have minimal experience with normal maps, and I'm just learning ZBrush...but an important part of making this character would be making nice folds in his clothes. When I'm making the base mesh in 3ds Max, should I try to make the folds, then ZBrush over them to better define them, or just ignore the folds outright until sculpting? Any tutorials on doing this would be great too.

Anything else anyone wants to warn a noob character modeller (me) of before I go about this project would be great ;)

Thanks for any help!

Piflik
10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Creating a naked Boba would only serve your training...if you want to model it, do it...

Or, if you want to simulate the cloth parts of his outfit, you can model these parts of his body for collision.

Regarding folds, I wouldn't model them in Max. Either use cloth to simulate them, or sculpt them.

Psyk0
10-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Creating a naked Boba would only serve your training...if you want to model it, do it...

I would have to disagree with the above statement, modeling clothes on top of a body will give you much more realistic results, the feeling of having a human under the clothes instead of just an approximated guess. Of course your base needs to have a certain level of quality to really bring that out. Study and model anatomy as much as you can.

You don't need the actual body under the clothes in the end by the way, it would just create a bigger headache for animation ;).

IronWarrior
10-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Okay, thanks for both the responses. It's midterm week, so I havn't had much time to model :(

One last question that I never seem to see an answer for...does it matter whether I model the arms in an A or T position? I'm guessing the A position is better, because it looks easier to rig and animate, but I see a whole lot of people in the WIP forum doing T...so I'm probably wrong.

Piflik
10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
T is easier to model, A is easier to rig. I'd model the arms detached from the body (T) and move them in A before attaching them.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.