PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9800 Pro

BunnyBunny
08-14-2003, 09:59 AM
What do you guys think of a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card as a 3d app card? Compared to say Nvidia Quadro for use with Maya.

MattClary
08-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I don't know about Maya specifically, but in general, ATI is only good if you want to play games.

Thalaxis
08-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Not any more.

Their OpenGL works now.

MattClary
08-14-2003, 03:37 PM
As well as Nvidia?

Thalaxis
08-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Not quite... but they're getting there.

My guess is that they'll match nVidia's OpenGL performance and
stability right around the time that nVidia leapfrogs them :)

CgFX
08-14-2003, 03:55 PM
FireGL is a different driver and all their bug fix, performance tuning, and certification/qualification efforts for pro apps are on the FireGL driver.

richcz3
08-15-2003, 04:39 PM
I have both ATI and nVidia and can say that nVidia cards seem to hold out better performance in OpenGl than ATI. Thats comparing two G4 4600 128MB against faster three 9700 Pros.
If its a driver issue, ATI needs to get it together soon.
nVidias been pulling too many stunts lately, so I am hoping that a new Catalyst driver will give better OpenGL perfomance.

News on ATIs support on the OpenGL standard.

ATI Confirms OpenGL 1.5 Support For Current Lineup - 10:21 am EST - MrB
Warp2Search has talked with Terry Makedon about ATI's support for the recently annouced OpenGL 1.5 spec.

Products from the RADEON 9500 and higher are capabable of supporting OpenGL 1.5, but we also need the driver to support these extensions.

Support will be through a driver update and I can't comment on when right now. We are finishing up some coding for this and are on a fast track for implementing it.

The claim of OpenGL 2.0 (compliance) is correct, but obviously we can't officially support it in our drivers until it is released to the public.

richcz3

CgFX
08-16-2003, 03:43 AM
OpenGL 1.5 has not had its final ratification vote within the ARB.

When OGL 1.5 is real you can expect nVidia, ATI, and 3dlabs (VP) to all support it.

Don't believe anyone's pre-release hype and press releases that they will support it better or drastically sooner than anyone else. Wait until the ARB finishes and the race to get a robust OGL 1.5 + SLang out there begins.

OpenGL 2.0 is not a real thing. There is no OpenGL 2.0 being worked on by the ARB. OpenGL 1.5 with OGL SLang is what they are finishing up.

You can read all of the meeting minutes and current efforts of the ARB at www.opengl.org. A gfx vendor's press release is not the place to get OpenGL status. Especially ATI's since they have trouble spelling OpenGL.

http://www.opengl.org/developers/about/arb.html

yardo
08-16-2003, 09:59 AM
I tried their firegl 7.88 driver and did not notice improvement. Not usable. It was obviosly bouncing important things like surface selection off the cpu. I 'm using a dual amd and the card's slow. I found a german website that tested xeons and mps, and the results showed that the firegl had bad issues with amd. The others cards seemed to be ok. I hope the 7.91 beta driver is better. But it may be some time. I have a quadro 4 900 and an old wildcat 4210. They have similar scene interactivity but the quadro gets a better frame rate by 50% or more. I use the wildcat a lot.
I think the quadro has better AA lines, while the ati can look fat /chunky/blurry.
http://www.3dchips.net/content/review.php?id=63&page=1
This site also tested a regular 9800 and 4200.
I tried a 9700 pro and found it made red marks all over nurbs.:shrug:
Hope some of this rambling is helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.