PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about modeling in 3Ds...

Quipster
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Hello guys.

I've been using Max a while, and while I wouldn't say I'm a great artist, I think I have a pretty good grasp of it.

My question is... How would you go about creating a shape like a sphere with a torus through it... Like, for example, the knob for setting the time on a pocket watch... At the moment, I would simply create a sphere, and a torus, and have them intersect... With some geometry of the torus being covered by the sphere, however I know there is a better way.

Also, if I had an object like this... Is there a way to make it appear like there is a weld (or just a curve in the corner) where the objects intersect ? I haven't been able to find a tutorial on this, so if anyone knows how, or has a tutorial for this, please let me know ! Much appreciated...

Quip

HHH316
10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi

Not to sure if I understand your question but try the Boolean function in 3dsmax and where the two intersect you can select those edges and chamfer them to make a weld effect.

Revon
10-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Create sphere and torus as separate objects and move torus into position where you want it. Delete the faces you don't need and, also leave enough room at the position where objects intersect to create smooth seam. Combine two meshes into a single object at this point. Now count how many edges there are at the end of your torus, because you'll now delete some of the faces on sphere to create a whole and in order for "Bridge" to work, edges need to match. If you have 8 edges, delete 4 faces and use Bridge to connect them. At this point it's just a matter of shaping it and getting it to look right, camfer will help a lot.

HHH316
10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm back

STEP 1. Use boolean tool in max. Choose union option under boolean

STEP 2. Convert to editable poly after boolean. Select row of edges where the two joined.

STEP 3. Chamfer the edges to create a weld effect.

There are more advanced ways to do this better but just this for now.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/gileshhh/maxhelp1.jpg

krisCrash
11-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Those steps sound fine - I just gave it a try myself.

One thing though; if you input the same value in "segments" for sphere and torus they will be able to be welded so you won't get those gaps you are getting.
http://kriscrash.dk/art/09oct/booleanball.png

A couple of curious Max bugs though;
It seemed to miss edges, and I had to do a vertice-weld after the boolean operation.

Quipster
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys !

scrimski
11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Create a spline following the outline of the sphere and the torus and revolve it using a lathe modifier. No need for messy Boolean operations.

musashidan
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Or you could just simply extrude/bevel the centre ring of faces by local normal and tweak.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.