PDA

View Full Version : nParticle Liquid Simulation Settings

graygiant
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm trying to do a simulation using a decent number of particles, 50,000+ (which is not really that much IMO), and anytime I turn on liquid simulation it crashes Maya. Are there some specific settings that I should be aware of to help optimize the sim or is there a particle limit? I've also got the particles colliding with 2 objects, but it still seems to crash regardless. If I turn the particle count way down, >10,000, I can get it to work but the results are not that great.

Any help or information is appreciated because I'm at a stopping point right now. Thanks!

Aikiman
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Have a look at Duncan's Blog as he has a good tutorial on Nparticle fluids. Are you meshing them as well? Quads are the best way to solve your meshing with as they sim faster and you can still get a really nice smoothing effect by tweaking one or two things.

Also crashing is usually a symptom of your system running out of memory, so it sounds like 50,000 particles is using up all your ram. Im not sure you can get around that unless you lower your particle count or buy more RAM! (the answer to everything! \:) )

mandark1011
10-22-2009, 03:29 AM
another consideration if your meshing is that nparticles draw a bounding box around your sim to calculate the mesh if you have a particle or two that have flow off a great distance the bounding box gets huge and can crash your maya....lol been there before

Aikiman
10-22-2009, 03:36 AM
another consideration if your meshing is that nparticles draw a bounding box around your sim to calculate the mesh if you have a particle or two that have flow off a great distance the bounding box gets huge and can crash your maya....lol been there before

Yep the best way to combat that is to kill your particle based on worldPosition, for example if it drops below a certain threshold in Y, end its sorry life then and there!

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2009, 03:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.