PDA

View Full Version : Texture Baking...

Pyke
08-14-2003, 07:56 AM
What is the best way 2 bake textures? Im a hi-poly modeler and am only recently getting into low poly modeling as I want 2 get in2 the games scene...but how on earth do you bake textures????? Plugins? Scripts? HELP!

Im using MAX 5, but im sure that the basic concepts are the same for all the pacages (just different names for the tools)...

Thanks in dvance!

-Chris-

NeoNautica
08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
1. Open 3D Max
2. Press F1
3. Type "Bake Textures" into search box
4. Click the first item in the list

OttovonDrone
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
If you are after a utility for baking textures, the best one is here:

www.mankua.com

look for KALDERA.

If you are stubborn hard-head half-intelligent and willing to touch in everything (LIKE ME :)) you can go after everything manually. I just want to be in complete control :) It takes a bit longer (not much after you get the most convenient way for you), but I enjoy it quite a lot :)

Best,
O_v_D

Pyke
08-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanx Otto-im going a plugin searching as we speak. :applause:

Tekspdy
08-15-2003, 06:48 AM
I feel like such an idiot... what does baking textures do? lol

Dhin
08-15-2003, 08:30 AM
It basically rendering to a texture. So you will have a rendered texture map for your model that will include shadows and light burn and what ever else you would get in a rendered image.

OttovonDrone
08-15-2003, 10:23 AM
TEK_Speedy,

Baking is embedding in the texture information/imagery which fakes illumination, shadows, bump, geometry -- whatever which is simulating 3D while it actually is a part of the texture. As arrogant as it may sound, check out my thread in the Focused Critiques Forum named Games-Quality Vehicle: Sci-Fi (or something like that). There is a texture there which has baked shadows, specularity, and lots of fake geometry.

Hope this helps :)

Best,
O_v_D

Beastie
08-18-2003, 09:16 PM
I believe theres a tutorial on baking textures on bobo's site.
http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.