PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Tutorial

-dc-
08-14-2003, 06:30 AM
Hello,

I thought I'd let everyone know that my first tutorial has been published online by animationartist.com. It's a general overview of rigging, for those who might not be familiar with the subject, or just want to learn something more. It also offers encouragement to students/hobbyists interested in being character TD's.

It's on the main page at Animation Artist (http://www.animationartist.com)
any feedback is welcome!

Thanks,

Joe
:wavey:

ps..here's a screenshot!

http://www.electronicgaming.com/riginaction2.gif

SheepFactory
08-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Great tutorial Joe!

plugged at cg networks :thumbsup:

jason-slab
08-14-2003, 02:10 PM
sweet, added to my favorites/tuts
:)
thx

|jason

markbones
08-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks Joe - nice overview.

This is not a technical forum so this may not be the place to ask/answer, but I have 2 questions :)

1) The 3 joint setup for the scapula: they are 3 bones grouped under... what?

2) The arm and legs are also not connected to the main torso of the skeleton?

Interesting stuff to try. Thanks again.

-dc-
08-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by markbones
[B]
1) The 3 joint setup for the scapula: they are 3 bones grouped under... what?]

Hi Markbones, to answer your question. The 3 joint for the scapula actually has IK on it, going from the root
to the end joint. This is parented under the same group as the clavicle IK handle, that way they move together.

2) The arm and legs are also not connected to the main torso of the skeleton?]

The arms and legs are grouped, but they are still connected to the main torso. Each arm is parented under it's respective shoulder, and the legs are connected at the hips.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I am glad you like the article! I know it might not be as "in-depth" as you would want, but there's more to come, and I will be covering some pretty lengthy topics so stay tuned! :)

Regards,

Joe

MosaFacku
08-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Good overview! :buttrock:

-dc-
08-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Just for the record, my methods are based off of ideas that Jason Schleifer pioneered. I put my own twist on them, but they are still his. I do have alot of my own stuff, but I don't want to discredit Jason at all. Of course, at work we have our own methods, but for my personal stuff I stick pretty close to his methods. :)

Regards,

Joe

DogBreath
08-15-2003, 02:23 AM
That was informative - the 5 bone shoulder - vertex weighting (total = 1) and influence for muscle deformation, were all xtremely helpful pieces of info. Thanks again for writing a great tut.

Mike.

krishki
08-15-2003, 09:17 AM
very useful TUT:applause:

dudeguy
08-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Good article, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

-dc-
08-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! :)
I can't believe how well it's doing, so far I have over 40,000 reported hits on the article!

I have more articles coming soon, i'll post links as they get published.

Regards,

Joe

DiOrio
08-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Great tutorial. That website is amazing, I was just parousing the tutorials section, lots of great stuff.

Realistik
08-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Congrats on the published tutorial. A little late on finding this thread, but WORD.

-Filmer:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.