PDA

View Full Version : Curtin University Perth, WA

Maestro99
10-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Hi, has anyone been to curtin university in perth?, I was thinking of taking a degree, possible fine arts or digital arts and was looking for some feedback on what the uni is like, or if possible what these two degrees are like.

I have been thinking of doing this for a long time and have read many posts saying its important to be an artist first rather than just being a button pusher on software, so I am thinking Fine Arts must be the way to go to give me that grounding first

Can anyone offer some advice ?

Thanks

R10k
10-21-2009, 05:29 AM
I have a brother who works at Curtin, but not in the art department ;)

I haven't heard much about studying art at Curtin, but I haven't heard any horror stories either. Like all schooling, what you get out of it will mostly be down to what you put in. Studying art there will hardly be a step backwards.

Check the fine arts course carefully- a lot of fine art courses are filled with art theory (history) and very little else. A call to Curtin to clarify just what each course contains could be a good move.

Greenham
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I attend the University of Western Australia (electrical engineering), but Curtin is a respectable university - especially in areas concerning technology and business (at least, that's how it markets itself and the reputation it's earned in W.A.)

I certainly wouldn't recommend any university outside U.W.A. or Curtin in Western Australia - and Curtin would probably be best for what you're considering studying.

PorkpieSamurai
10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I went for an interview there back in 04 for the 3d animation program and they said
I probably learnt more at my graphic design course at TAFE than what they could teach me
at Curtin..maybe times have changed since.

retrovision
10-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I did Multimedia at Curtin for a semester back in 2005(or 2004, can't remember heh) and it sucked. I quit after 6 months.

I was doing motion graphics and 3d. It went like this... here's a project, here's the software, do it. The teachers were a joke and so were most of the students. It was obvious to me they let anyone into the course, because 80% of the work i saw was horrendous.

I can't really comment much on a fine arts course though. It could be totally different.

R10k
10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Things might have changed since 2005. I believe the games course at Curtin was being overrun by poorly skilled students (kids fresh out of school who didn't really want to be there), so they put measures in place to cull those who wouldn't be suited to the course, which then improved the quality of things a great deal, apparently.

I'm not sure how true this is as I'm yet to see the results from a student that's been through that course recently, but if the same thing has happened with the 3D courses (that is, there's a solid entrance test) the quality of things might be improved. That said, there are very, very few skilled 3D people in the educational system, so that might not be saying much.

xuanyue
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Was there last year for an art exchange program.

The impression i had about that place was pretty good, generally favorable learning conditions, BUT, could pretty much tell from the grad show that Curtin is probably more specialized in traditional arts as there aint any notable CG around.

axiomatic
12-03-2009, 02:11 AM
I went to Curtin in '02 and did some animation units which were a waste of time. The Film and TV units there are alright but while the tutors are receptive to VFX they aren't skilled in the technical side of things. However, for fundamentals of film they do probably the best in Perth.

3D animation and interactive design at Curtin is an interesting one. I was actually helping out tutoring there this year (I never did finish my degree, opting to get a job instead) for Game development. I know that some students seemed surprised to have someone who could answer technical questions and operate Maya in a fast an efficient manner. There were some tutors I met who were skilled with Maya but the school wasn't really geared to teach technical skills with most of the senior staff having not been working in a professional studio atmosphere for quite a number of years.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I guess in the end Curtin is aiming at providing design fundamentals as opposed to technical fundamentals in the fields of animation, interactive design and cg. The good part of this is that it means motivated students who want to get a lot of out their tutors probably can make good use of the school and will come out better candidates for work because of it. The bad part is that you're not going to learn how to use the software in a way that's comparable even to self-directed learning.

At the end of the day is a university tacking on interactive media development. The courses seem to be improving though which speaks of a commitment to changing things, hopefully.

Onuora
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
is pjcad at Malaysia good?

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.