PDA

View Full Version : UK laptop purchase help

kelgy
10-21-2009, 12:11 AM
I know someone in London who wants to get a laptop for use with 3d max. A complete newbie with 3d graphics.

I have no knowledge of laptops or currency exchange rates-if someone can advise I will pass along the info.

She says she has been told to consider these options:

Packard Bell TJ65-AU010 T4200 Laptop (400)
Compaq CQ60-420SA Laptop (300)

And writes:

What my questions are:

what is the major difference between the two when working with graphics?
What are the graphic cards like?
Is any of them good enough for Adobe CS4 (whole suite) work and 3D max?
I'm not planning to start making long and lots and lots of animations, but would like to try a bit. Will also want to try some 3D work and want to learn 3D Max.
Will work lots with InDesign Photoshop and Illustrator, but for that both(computers) are ok."

biliousfrog
10-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Three things spring to mind

1. 400 for a laptop is not going to go very far. They are both bottom-end, web surfing, word processing computers although, out of the two, the Packard Bell is a little better. Unless a laptop is completely necessary, 400 would be better spent on a normal PC...although it still won't go far.

2. It is obvious looking at the two choices that she has restricted herself to buying from a high street chain store. Both brands are almost exclusively sold through Curry's/PC World and they are notoriously expensive. A better option would be to look online at somewhere such as Laptops Direct or go somewhere like Regent Street where there are several computer shops competing against each other.

3. Spending several thousand pounds on software and buying a 400 computer to run it on seems...erm...stupid.....and very fishy:curious:

kelgy
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
3. Spending several thousand pounds on software and buying a 400 computer to run it on seems...erm...stupid.....and very fishy:curious:

**yeah well I had told her about Blender a few months ago-I didnt mention 3d max to her so i dont know if she is getting access to it through her job or..other means.
But I will pass on the info. Thanks. :)

imashination
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Both of those are terrible choices for 3D work, nether of them has a real gfx card, theyre good for 2D stuff and thats about all.

kelgy
10-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I will tell her that too.

She doesnt have 3d studio max--she just wants a computer that would work with it if she got it eventually.

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2009, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.