PDA

View Full Version : Basic Active and Passive rigid body problem

danielmargiotta
10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I have roughly fifteen active rigid body dynamic poly spheres in a cylinder. The cylinder is a Passive rigid body that is keyframed to move around the screen. All of the spheres stick within the cylinder until about halfway through the animation. Then all of them seem to be ejected out of the side for no obvious reason.

Playblasts coming soon//

danielmargiotta
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
This is the playblast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgrp4almZcU

Notice the spheres colliding and moving inside the cylinder untill 5 seconds (were the video is slow mo) Then alll of the spheres are ejected from the cylinder.

TheRispo
10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Have you tried fliping the normals of the cylinder???.. or increasing the cylinder subdivisions... or maybe increasing the collision tolerance in the rigid bodies atributtes would help.. sorry I'm not totally sure what might be causing that problem

stooch
10-21-2009, 02:42 AM
I have roughly fifteen active rigid body dynamic poly spheres in a cylinder. The cylinder is a Passive rigid body that is keyframed to move around the screen. All of the spheres stick within the cylinder until about halfway through the animation. Then all of them seem to be ejected out of the side for no obvious reason.

Playblasts coming soon//

not enough substeps. as soon as your container accelerated beyond the step size they lost their ability to collide. increase thickness offset for collisions or increase substeps.

mandark1011
10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
yah once you have interpenetration going on then its game over as far as maya is concerned...it wont even try anymore.
When your objects get highlighted it means you have issues with interpenetration..... increasing substeps as said above should solve the problem. Another thing to try is triangulating your geometry before you solve. Maya does this calculation itself before it will solve rigid sims but as we all know sometimes maya's ideas of what is good and our ideas are completely different.
good luck with your sim

DynamicBoy
10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
try the pulldownit plugin, it is more robust than maya rigid bodies.

danielmargiotta
10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it so much!

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.