PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Particles, No Splashing

graygiant
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
How would I get nParticles to stick together more and not splash after collisions with objects? Here are a few specific questions:

1) Can I keep particles together in mid-air, or attract them to each other slightly?
2) How can I keep particles together upon collisions, so they don't splash everywhere?

I'm looking for a very thick liquid effect that holds it shape, but I can't seem to find the right solution or settings.

Thanks!

stooch
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
How would I get nParticles to stick together more and not splash after collisions with objects? Here are a few specific questions:

1) Can I keep particles together in mid-air, or attract them to each other slightly?
2) How can I keep particles together upon collisions, so they don't splash everywhere?

I'm looking for a very thick liquid effect that holds it shape, but I can't seem to find the right solution or settings.

Thanks!

use nparticles, there are per particle attract fields, tehre is also liquid simulation with viscousity effects. you could also use an attract field with an instancer on regular particles and clump particles together that way. but what makes the nparticles nice is that they have incompressibility settings that will actually build the mass of particles up instead of collapsing them all into 1.

graygiant
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
The attraction field via the Force Field Generation seems to always result in crashing Maya, and the liquid simulation is very slow to the point where Maya hangs. This may be because I'm working with too many particles and collisions (50,000 + particles and 2 collision meshes). Any other solutions or tips that could help?

Thanks again!

stooch
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
The attraction field via the Force Field Generation seems to always result in crashing Maya, and the liquid simulation is very slow to the point where Maya hangs. This may be because I'm working with too many particles and collisions (50,000 + particles and 2 collision meshes). Any other solutions or tips that could help?

Thanks again!

heh. well thats why i use realflow. but yeah its not very fast. there is alot of math going on.

i suppose you could use a sparse particle emitter and then generate additional particles using the emitted particles as "nuclei" with a noise based distribution and an offset from the sparse emitter. does that sound like fun? (i think so)

graygiant
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I've got a whole separate set of issues with RF :), I just have found more control in Maya for this particular project. But I am meshing in RF. I found that I had to tune the particle count way down for the viscosity to work...seems to do the trick but less particles sucks.

Thanks Stooch.

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.