PDA

View Full Version : How would I model this?

Junkie Inc.
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Currently in the process of modelling a warhammer 40k boltgun in Maya unlimited. What would be the best way to model the grip of the weapon ( with the grooves in it).

Thanks

Junkie Inc.

IronWarrior
10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Poly modelling with a sub-D...which is essentially just placing every poly by hand using edge-extrusion, creating a blocky shape of the grip. Then apply some sort of Sub-D (probably called MeshSmooth or something...I use 3ds max) that divides the polies and smooths it out.

Junkie Inc.
10-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Many thanks

I'll try this and see what results I get

Cheers

Junkie Inc.

winznut
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I'm currently working on the same bolter and used turbosmooth for the grip.
Since I'm a beginner myself, I have no idea if it can be done better...

Junkie Inc.
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
That actually helps alot but it was the other grip that I was having the problem with. I hadn't started that part of it but yours will give me a big hand up with that part. Do you have any pics of the grip under the main barrel.

Thanks again

Junkie Inc.

winznut
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey,

just finished the bolter yesterday, but I ended up with 13,5k polys.
Guess that's a little to much for such a small item...

Anyways, don't know if it helps, but here is a pic of the grip.

Edit: The upload didn't works, here is a link: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6426/bolter2.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6426/bolter2.jpg)

Junkie Inc.
10-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the upload this helps alot.

I was taking a different route for the grip as in I was modelling it from a poly cube. Looks like yours is modelled from a cylinder cut in half with the grip extruded up? Is this the way also what way did you get the cutout in the grip did you push the faces in and then split polys for the rounded part. What I've seen of the model it looks really good. Post a pic of the full model if you could as I'd really like to have a look.

The poly count doesn't bother me as I am looking to model just to get some sort of workflow in place for myself from modelling to texturing and eventually compositing and lighting in photoshop so this is really just an experiment and a learning exercise for me.

Thanks again for the posts as this really helps

Cheers

Junkie

winznut
10-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I also modelled the body from a box.
Unfortunatelly I can't really remember how I did the grip exactly, but I think it was with the "Hinge From Edge" tool.

The cuts were done by connecting the edges and than extruding the faces inwards.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8219/bolter4.jpg

Hope that helps!

Junkie Inc.
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
This helps alot. The bolter looks awesome, really nice job

Junkie Inc.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.