PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel Question

Shuggs
10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi!

Quick question!

Months ago I sent off a demo reel to Pixar for their technical director residency internship program. Unfortunately, I did not get a position, but I was determined to study and learn all that I could so when the next opportunity came I'd be prepared. To make a long story short, last night I just so happened to be browsing the site and came across an opening for January 2010 residency. Problem with that is that the submissions are due by November 8th. At this rate, I will only have one, solid model to put on my reel. My question is this: Is it a bad idea to send in a demo reel package with just a single piece of work on it? I know the term 'quality over quantity', but one piece? I don't want to make a fool out of myself, you know? But at the same time I don't want to pass up the opportunity because I had just one model on my reel. There's another opening for June 2010, so I figured if I didn't get it this time around, I can go for that, but it might be too late to apply for the program (I graduated Spring 2009 in May). How 'recent' is recent? Their FAQ isn't that specific, but I figured you have a year and no more than that to give it a shot.

Any kind of answers will help. Thanks!

hypnocookie
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess it varies from company to company but sa long as your work is good then there can be no harm in having a go. I would say that it shows determination and commitment that you keep applying and maybe if they remember you as you submit more work they will be able to see how well you develop.

If you havent got a lot of work to demo make sure you do your one piece of work realy realy well and show it off. By this I mean show tidy meshes, various lighting scenarios, perhaps change material about too to show of that you understand the importance of variuos elements. Good luck.

P.S. cheers for the tip about the opening at pixar.

Shuggs
10-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I guess it varies from company to company but sa long as your work is good then there can be no harm in having a go. I would say that it shows determination and commitment that you keep applying and maybe if they remember you as you submit more work they will be able to see how well you develop.

If you havent got a lot of work to demo make sure you do your one piece of work realy realy well and show it off. By this I mean show tidy meshes, various lighting scenarios, perhaps change material about too to show of that you understand the importance of variuos elements. Good luck.

P.S. cheers for the tip about the opening at pixar.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this, and great points.

Honestly, I feel as though this is my best model to date, and it will probably be the only one I'll be showcasing. I planned on getting the character model into a few poses and do some facial morphs like I did with my old demo reel just so show that it can be animated. Was thinking about texturing it as well but I don't think I have the time to dedicate to that yet unfortunately.

And no problem! I just stumbled across it a few days ago, so I'm busting my butt (again) to meet that deadline!

Capt.Jackass
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I've had some experience with internships at large companies such as these, and generally when they mean recent, they are looking for people who haven't had much experience in the industry, they prefer a lump of clay so to speak, someone they can mold into an employee that fits into their corporate culture. They usually want someone fresh who hasn't picked up any bad habits from other companies, so if you've recently graduated and haven't had many jobs in the industry, i'm sure they'll consider you "recent".

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.