PDA

View Full Version : About Lightingin MR Maya 2008

theblackplanet1
10-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi all!I't my 1st post here so nice to meet ya!I'm working on Maya for a few years but I can't say I have mastered lighting and rendering yet.I've made a model of a gir's face and rendered it in MR with fast_skin material and 3 point lights with area lights.I also did render it whith Final Gathering.The result was fine to me in both cases but today I had the idea to remove all the lighting and render it with only the default light set and also without specularity.Surprisingly the result was great!The colour of the skin but especially the eyes where much more natural,smooth and beautiful.Of course there were the logical disadvantages with shadowing for example so I'd like to ask if I can have the same result using any other light set.I can't post images at the moment because I have the files in my office but if it helps you I'll do it by tomorrow.Could anybody give me some advices or suggest me a good book or tutorial,I'd prefer not general about lighting but specifically about lighting for a photorealistic human face.Thanks in advance!

SirRender
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Lots of great free lighting tutorials, including skin shading with mental ray:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/167/Free-Maya-Tutorials

You just have to register.

theblackplanet1
10-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you for your answer my friend,actually I've worked this tutorial from Gnomonology,I'll give still can't manage the result I want.I'll post tomorrow a couple of pics to see what I'm talking about.The textures are a bit low res,if I had a better res the result would be what I want but when rendering with the default light set,even with the low res texture the result is amazing!Mate I have a question for you,what light set do you suggest me to use when rendering a single human face?Maybe I should use only the skydome for final gathering without any aditional lights(I used both the skydome and the 3 point lights,haven't used yet skydome alone).Cheers!

theblackplanet1
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=391671240&albumID=1673588&imageID=30737499

The above image is the one rendered in MR with only the default light set.And the attached one is the one with the 3 spot lights(no point lights,it was my mistake).Do you believe it's just my taste?I like a lot more the colours from the 1st image,both also there's something else I can't describe properly but the 1st image somehow looks to me like it's in better resolution,maybe I can call the 2nd one a bit "blotchy" although I'm not 100% sure if it's the right term.Anybody please,if anybody has some time I can send him the original renders in 1280x1024 resolution.I'll be really greatful!

theblackplanet1
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Especially in the eyes there is a big difference don't you think?On the other hand in the one with only the default light set the shadows are really hard,of course it's something that we'd except but if I could somehow have the same lighting in both the halfs of the face I'd be really happy!

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.