PDA

View Full Version : feathers

chieh
05-16-2002, 04:32 PM
My work needan india chief, so I need a feathers texture,but i can,t find any featherstextures,does anybody have any tips or even better nice textures ? Thanks a lot!

leigh
05-16-2002, 06:58 PM
The best way to do textures is to model the basic shape as a very very very thin poly, and then get a photo of a feather, and project the image through it, along with a good transparency or clip map, which you can also make from the photo. That usually does the trick :thumbsup:

chieh
05-16-2002, 07:19 PM
does anybody have a photo of a feather.....

levin
05-16-2002, 08:10 PM
do a google search.

funny.

one of my brother's roosters died the other day, and i found a single tail feather.

i was mesmerized at how the color changes when the feather is hit by light at certain angles. really beautiful.

an anistrophic shader (with a map) can be useful ... i think

also the spec color sould be dazzling; the tail i found was black with emerald green specular color.

Kim Oravecz
05-17-2002, 01:23 AM
I have a bunch of feathers from my pet Severe Macaw parrot. I save his tail feathers when he molts them. They are basically green with a tad bit of maroon and blue in them. I'd be happy to scan one in for you and send it to you if you'd like. Just let me know!

I also have some hand-painted images of feathers that I did when I did the texturing on my 3D model of my African Grey parrot. But they are not realistic really. More "painterly" looking.

:cool:

Later!

. . . Kim

MDB101
05-17-2002, 02:53 AM
Feathers eh :) I have feathers! I choked my chicken to get the feathers..hymmm that didint sound too good... :P

chieh
05-17-2002, 05:41 AM
hello Kim Oravecz
could you give me that?i am appreciate,my email-chieh.lee@msa.hinet.net ,thanks!!and thanks everyone's comment

Kim Oravecz
05-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Hello Cheih!

I just sent you a couple different feather scans. You should post your image when it's done so we can see it! :)

Later!

. . . Kim

lildragon
05-17-2002, 12:27 PM
I have some professional scans of feathers, I had to use some for my Kar model's tribal beads, I'll up them once I get to work..

cheers

Equinoxx
05-17-2002, 12:44 PM
tito man . . . i got two things to say . . .

"where in the world is Carmen SanDiego"

and

"The Puppetmasters"

i'll explain when you get back on msn . . . or take the time to pm/email . . .

chieh
05-17-2002, 01:33 PM
thanks again ,
and i expect to lildragon's professional scans of feathers,,i think its will help me a lot

lildragon
05-17-2002, 01:42 PM
I have more, but this is more than enough to get you started, it's about 3 megs zipped of .tga's with their alpha channels, so placing them anywhere will be a breeze ;)

http://lildragon.cgcommunity.com/temp/feathers.zip

I do have a few more but these should get ya going, I think it's about 10 or so

let me know how they work out for ya

cheers

chieh
05-17-2002, 01:59 PM
nice texture!
when i finish i will post my work here. thanks everyone!

LucentDreams
05-18-2002, 08:07 PM
those are besutiful textures thanks so much Lildragon. I love the green one (feather12) There are some puffin ones and such, absolutley fantastic. Could be very useful in this months challenge.

Renderedbrian
05-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
I have more, but this is more than enough to get you started, it's about 3 megs zipped of .tga's with their alpha channels, so placing them anywhere will be a breeze ;)

http://lildragon.cgcommunity.com/temp/feathers.zip

I do have a few more but these should get ya going, I think it's about 10 or so

let me know how they work out for ya

cheers

Just to say thanks for putting those up for download! Amazing what you find browsing the cgtalk boards!

regards

-
brian

zikman
05-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Could u please put the file again?

The link is broken:(
I need these textures too....

Thanx in advance!

Dis
05-30-2002, 10:31 PM
i would be interested too ! :)

Oren Ben-Tov
06-01-2002, 12:39 PM
:p

lildragon
06-04-2002, 12:45 PM
they're back up guys, enjoy

cheers

zikman
06-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Thx a lot my friend for helping us!

Million of thx!

Greetings from Greece!

:thumbsup:

zikman
06-04-2002, 09:35 PM
They are Excellent!

Greattttttt Work!

:scream:

Oren Ben-Tov
06-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the feathers :)

What would be the best way to use them?
cover the bird body with hundreds of small planes and texture them with the fethers.

wouldent they move wierd with the mesh body?, cuz they will be only linked to the bones.

or there is another way?

thanks again

:thumbsup:

chieh
06-16-2002, 07:56 AM
this is one chararacter of our pcgame,
this game is similar to Civilization3,so we need many portrait for different country,i learn maya for this reason...
here is the indian leader.i am not satisfity but i don't have time to improve it...
thanks everyone's help

Kim Oravecz
06-16-2002, 01:50 PM
How come you are not satisfied with it? I think he looks really good! The headdress looks great!

Now is this going to be in the game or is it for the cinematics? He looks pretty hi res - just wondering.

Really - you should be happy with how he came out! :applause:

Later!

. . . Kim

skeletor
07-30-2002, 07:50 PM
I'm maybe a little late but if anyone can link again these textures or anything it would be appreciated. . . thx

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.