PDA

View Full Version : how do i get lw's reflection crisp?

WChestnutt
08-13-2003, 11:25 PM
well my problem is this...

when i use a hdri or environment map on one of my cars i need the reflection to be crisp, nice tight edges, so your able to clearly make out the image. i've seen this done in other programs (, and c4d) but whenever i try and do that in lw it always comes out slightly blurred (i have no blurring turned on) as if i were using a low res image.
is there a way to get nice hi res reflections from hdri's of environment maps? is it just a case of using really hi res images?

here's an example of what it should look like...

here (http://www.suurland.com/image_x.php?image=images/portfolio_stills_newbeetle_vray_00.jpg)

see the nice well defined lines, also notice you can see lots of detail in the reflection!!? if i attemted that in lw you wouldn't see nearly as much detail.

Can anyone help out?

Will

leigh
08-13-2003, 11:46 PM
I personally have never really had any problems with unwanted blurring in reflections... in fact, I wish I could blur my reflections more easily (and with faster rendering too) because it is more realistic!

What HDR images are you using though? Perhaps, as you mentioned, they are too low res or not very good quality...

roguenroll
08-14-2003, 01:55 AM
yeah i've never really had a problem, might just need high rays and moderate AA.

as leigh said get a high qual HDR

???

WChestnutt
08-14-2003, 09:49 AM
thanks,

i'm using these images...

here (http://hdri.3dweave.com/library/)

they seem ok.

anyone know a good resource for nice hdr images?

Cheers,

Will

roguenroll
08-14-2003, 11:23 AM
http://fmotion.net/hdri.htm

red_oddity
08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, that explains is....waaay too small...
I suggest using an actual surrounding to reflect rather than a HDRI...

WChestnutt
08-14-2003, 12:10 PM
thanks for the link.

an actual surrounding!? one day i'll get round to buiilding one, but it takes ages to create a decent environment!.

vj2012fx
08-14-2003, 02:39 PM
get ya digital camera out if ya have one and go take some photos on the real world in high res and see what ya get m8
might help

:thumbsup:
i think there is a pluging for puting the images together right around, if not use photoshop to put them together

WChestnutt
08-14-2003, 03:24 PM
i do have a digital camera, its images arn't very good quality though.
ok, does anyone know a method that gives you a realistic render without using hdri or having to model a scene? maybe using sky tracer?

Cheers,

Will

Finkster
08-14-2003, 04:02 PM
You could make your own HDRI probes using Terragen. There is a tutorial here (http://www.rna.hr/tutorial01/default.htm)
Of course if you want nice reflections of anything other than wilderness environments, you'll need high quailty HDRI photos or maybe you could look for free stock objects to place around your environment.

Good luck.

yog
08-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Yep, larger HDR images certainly help with reflections.
The Vienna one you posted was about 500x130, which gets pretty stretched when used as an environment.

On his Beetle image Thomas Suurland was using a large HDR image from Sachform (http://www.sachform.de/index.asp) , which on average are about 3000x1500.

If anyone uses HDRI a lot and hasn't been to the Sachform site, it's worth a peek.

WChestnutt
08-14-2003, 04:30 PM
thanks!

hey yog, have youu brought any of them? if so could you give me an example?
i'm downloading their example now, i'll tell you how it goes.

thanks,

Will

WChestnutt
08-14-2003, 08:01 PM
WOW!!! just tried a render with one of their sample images from the downloads section, even though it was a bad image (a wasteland sort'a place) it still gave me the best result i've had so far!
thanks for that link!:thumbsup:
all i need now is for them to release a download of a city image (instead of the wasteland).

i'll post an image of it later.

Thanks,

Will

vj2012fx
08-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Finkster
You could make your own HDRI probes using Terragen. There is a tutorial here (http://www.rna.hr/tutorial01/default.htm)
Of course if you want nice reflections of anything other than wilderness environments, you'll need high quailty HDRI photos or maybe you could look for free stock objects to place around your environment.

Good luck.
that's the program I was trying to remember the name of
its good and can make nice maps if ya set ya digi cam up to a high enough res
well done that man for remembering
:thumbsup:

Whylee
08-15-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
[B]I personally have never really had any problems with unwanted blurring in reflections... in fact, I wish I could blur my reflections more easily (and with faster rendering too) because it is more realistic!

Funny that was my EXACT reaction after reading the post.

Whylee
08-15-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by unknown limit
ok, does anyone know a method that gives you a realistic render without using hdri or having to model a scene? maybe using sky tracer?
Will

Well what kinda environment you looking to achieve? If you want the show room/car commerical look read up on how it's really done so you can understand it and emulate it. In product shoots normally white cards are used to reflect ontop the cars frame thus all the hot white lined reflections on it. I'm sure if you looked it up online you'd find something about it. Normally the best thing to do is not look "how do I do this in CG" but "how do I do this in real life" then apply that to 3D where you can first.

my 2 cents

WChestnutt
08-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Ok, thanks!

WChestnutt
08-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the great tips guys!!
using that free hi res image (hdri), mixed with a luminous plane above the car i've got the best result i've ever had!!
(it might not seem that good to you but i've had very little experience with lighing and rendering, so this is the best i've done for a car.)

now can anyone suggest how to improve these results?
btw, the car is just the one from my tutorial, thats why it's unfinished.

Cheers,

Will

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.