PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 mod "Ancients" looking for 3D-Character-Artist

xs57
10-18-2009, 12:57 PM
About us
We are currently four developers working as programmers, level designers and artists. The project we are working on is called "Ancients" and is a Half-Life 2 Source Engine modification styled for cooperative teamplay against hordes of computer controlled monsters. Over more than a year we have been working in our spare time to get the basic functions of the mod up and running. We are now looking for someone to create 3D models from the 2D art our artist has made.

What we offer

Good team spirit and atmosphere
Our own wiki to document workflows and finished tasks
Our own forum to discuss ideas and concepts
A Teamspeak 2-Server to discuss more complex things
Our own homepage which serves as the presentation platform for our mod. Also the homepage can be used to show off reference work for the designers
Our own IRC-channel to keep each other up to date
Apart from that we are also just gamers, who like to spend our evenings gaming together, so come over and join the fun! http://webdruid.no-ip.com/dev17/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif
What we expect from you
As already mentioned the game mode is players versus monsters. So both the players and monsters need proper models. To create them in 3D would be your job.

You should be able to create a 3D-Mesh from several 2D drawings, which have been created by our artist. The polycount for the mesh is pretty low as we plan to maximize the number of monsters per map. We can't give you an exact number for that yet, since we approach it from the perspective: produce a good looking model with as few polygons as possible and then make a stress test and see how many monsters we can support. An estimate of the polycount would be 3000.

The style of the monsters and the world is currently being worked out by our artist. The plan is to create a blend between an endtime, maybe cyberpunk and a fantasy setting. As an example you could imagine a demon who has fought several battles against humanity. In the process he lost his arm and replaced it with some technical junk leftovers. You can see a little preview on our homepage here:
http://www.treefix-games.de/en/media.html

Up until now to create our testmodels we have used Softimage XSI Mod Tool, which is pretty well integrated into the process of getting models into the game since it has a built-in exporter for the Valve .smd format. You are basically free in the tools you use to model as long as we find some way of getting it into the game.

Further requirements

You are of full age.
You are willing to use our IRC-channel for regular communication.
You are willing to document your work at least once per week in the forum or the wiki.
You understand that this is a hobby project which doesn't involve any payment. Apart from that there is always glory and honour http://webdruid.no-ip.com/dev17/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif
We expect you to work 5 hours a week. We know that it won't always be possible to fulfill that as we all have a real-life and enough other things to do.
You are living in a timezone near us. All of our team members are currently living in Germany or the UK. So it would be nice if you don't live on the other side of the planet so we can keep in touch with you.
Contact
E-Mail: xs57 (at) treefix-games (dot) de
IRC: irc.gamesurge.net - #treefix-games
Please send your applications to the e-mail-adress above.

mwgriffin
11-04-2009, 04:07 AM
This sounds really cool. I'd be interested in modeling. I'd like to be involved in character modeling and/or scene modeling. I'm in school right now but I should be able to contribute at least five hours a week. I'll contact you through your contact details tomorrow.

Dschadu
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
xs57's PC died yesterday. You can contact me - or wait a little bit, until his PC is fixed.

xs57
11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey there mwgriffin,

thanks for your interest in the mod. Unfortunately both my workstation and laptop died this and last week, so i only have access on a very slow machine. Therefore i don't have my e-mail application available and will not be able to read your mail. I'm currently waiting for the computer shop to fix my new computer (which was also delivered broken - what's the chance of 3 computers getting broken at the same time...). I will answer you as soon as possible once i get my new computer. In the mean time we can keep in touch via this forum.

Kind regards,
xs57

xs57
11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm back online and ready for emails :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.