PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Wok

vis73
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I've spent the last week or so - trying my hardest to work up a fire sim. Wow, what a lot of tweaking! I am trying to get the effect of a very large wok, filled with petrol but have so far failed to get a good look. I would like to find some way to get more 'licks' and detail out of the sim but dont know where to go from here. I have posted a scene if anyone is willing to take a look. I would appreciate any kind of pointer - but realise its a tweak-render-tweak game ....

Cheers

stooch
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I've spent the last week or so - trying my hardest to work up a fire sim. Wow, what a lot of tweaking! I am trying to get the effect of a very large wok, filled with petrol but have so far failed to get a good look. I would like to find some way to get more 'licks' and detail out of the sim but dont know where to go from here. I have posted a scene if anyone is willing to take a look. I would appreciate any kind of pointer - but realise its a tweak-render-tweak game ....

Cheers

so you want someone to hold your hand and do the work for you instead of reading the numerous threads that contain fluid examples ready for download?

go here and read ths thread first, so that you dont come across so lazy:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=741591

vis73
10-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Dont be so ****ing patronising you prick. I asked nicely for someone to give me a pointer; I provided my setup to show that I have been doing the work and not just asking for a hand out. I'm no newbie, So Don't come to my shop pal, you wont like the friendly, helpful atmosphere.

Nuff said,

Aikiman
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Dude, I havent checked your scene but I found this video tut really helpful for my fire...check it out.

http://agentfx.blogspot.com/2009/07/fire-part-1.html

[edit] Looks as though you have watched the video, i just checked your scene :) Well if I had a dual quad core to play your sim with and fix it up I would try, but really with a detailed fluid container like yours it would take someone special to take it off your hands and do good to it. Its kind of like asking some guy to fix a run cycle for you but tweak it so hes limping and dragging his other foot a the same time.

sorry I cant be of any help.

vis73
10-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Yep, I have worked through every fire tut I can find. I have looked across the www forums for tips - but no avail :( And fair enough m8 I hear ya. Im running it on a single quadcore with 8gb of ram. Its slow but not too bad. I realise that its a stretch and a high res setup - I am looking to get something good in close up and half speed - so my sim needs to look the shiz. Fluids are a fecker :) Ive tweaked and tweaked - but cant get the look. Maybe Destructor will put up his fire part 2 tut at some point and offer his guidance :)

Im starting to wonder if Im just aiming to high.... Maybe ill work something up lower res and use 2d to animate in some licks and detail.

Cheers

stooch
10-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Dont be so ****ing patronising you prick. I asked nicely for someone to give me a pointer; I provided my setup to show that I have been doing the work and not just asking for a hand out. I'm no newbie, So Don't come to my shop pal, you wont like the friendly, helpful atmosphere.

Nuff said,

hey asshole. instead of being a dick to people who are helping, why dont you shut your friendly trap, and go to the link i kindly provided. it actually has the answer you are looking for, and happens to be on the first page of this section, so if you werent too lazy to look for it, you would have found it :)

vis73
10-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Bollox mate - you could have easily just provided the link and not the attitude. Your reel is now the laughing stock of the studio. You wont work in film anytime soon.

****wit.

stooch
10-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Bollox mate - you could have easily just provided the link and not the attitude. Your reel is now the laughing stock of the studio. You wont work in film anytime soon.

****wit.

thanks. but im already working :)

stooch
10-19-2009, 01:39 AM
That great - you should hang on to the contract. Shame you won't every get to play with the big boys.

judging by your example you arent the big boy. just some asshole with a big mouth :)

stooch
10-19-2009, 01:40 AM
lol. double post

vis73
10-19-2009, 01:40 AM
That great - you should hang on to the contract. Shame you won't ever get to play with the big boys.

vis73
10-19-2009, 01:47 AM
You cant back track now boyo. You come along giving it the big un and then try to do a quick role reversal technique to back down. Its here for everyone to see. You acted like I was some newbie and gave me a telling off for asking for help. Unlike you - I don't think I'm the mutts nutz- just another TD looking to expand my skills and not frightened to ask for help when I need it. Our industry can do with less of your type of attitude - Jeez - when I train people in our software - how far would they get if I demonstrated your impatience. Thing is - our industry is small and word gets round - We don't hire people who give short shift to those asking for help - Its not productive and makes for a shite environment. Now **** off and shut up.

Aikiman
10-19-2009, 02:15 AM
From what I can see having done a render on frame 40 is that your bouyency may need to drop down a little. Sometimes if you have a strong force in one direction it can spoil velocity swirl and create the cone shape you have.

Its trying to get your forces balanced, thats the trick ;) Too much one way and bam! Nothing looks right.

stooch
10-19-2009, 02:21 AM
You cant back track now boyo. You come along giving it the big un and then try to do a quick role reversal technique to back down. Its here for everyone to see. You acted like I was some newbie and gave me a telling off for asking for help. Unlike you - I don't think I'm the mutts nutz- just another TD looking to expand my skills and not frightened to ask for help when I need it. Our industry can do with less of your type of attitude - Jeez - when I train people in our software - how far would they get if I demonstrated your impatience. Thing is - our industry is small and word gets round - We don't hire people who give short shift to those asking for help - Its not productive and makes for a shite environment. Now **** off and shut up.
You are such an awesome guy. I'm sure everyone is going to form a line to work with such a sweet and charmng guy as yourself. You know, after this "environment" I'm going o be so mh better as a person. Good job. Truly a great example that has been carved in granite in my memories. I will tell my grand children stories about you. Oh humble TD.
(if you weren't so busy taking shit - you would be done with your sim by now...I recommend turning down the bias on your asshole dynamic grid )

Aikiman
10-19-2009, 02:29 AM
BTW Id probably dump the airfield, as this applies more upward force which can be controlled solely with bouyency.

vis73
10-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks Jeremy - I appreciate your help. Ill let you know how I get on. Lovely day in Auckers today eh?

Aikiman
10-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks Jeremy - I appreciate your help. Ill let you know how I get on. Lovely day in Auckers today eh?

You all the way down under m8?! Looks like we pulled off a sunny one for you today :) make the most of it!

vis73
10-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Lol, indeed, What a beautiful land you have m8 :) Love it! And dude, love your work. I moved the boyancy down, removed this diffusion, tweaked the dissipation and dumped the air and got something looking nice in animation. I'm still not getting the licks I am after, but I will comp some stuff in post. Time for a burn up tonight to get some footage.

Sometimes its just a fresh pair of eyes that are needed. Cheers bro.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2009, 04:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.