PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson getting paid record amount to direct "King Kong"

Array
08-13-2003, 10:09 PM
http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/4/2003/08/13/story001.html

beaker
08-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Good, he made the studios probably in the range of a few billion dollars from the LOTR series by the time ROTK comes out.

Martypt
08-14-2003, 02:13 AM
He deserves it.Can't wait to see it already.:beer:

NUKE-CG
08-14-2003, 03:18 AM
That's great.

The man deserves it, LOTR's aside, he has stood up against the NZ government, and pushed our country's film industry forward, and has made it easier for overseas films to shoot here.

The man should be knighted.

(Oh.. and I am soooo going to try to get a job at Weta for King Kong *bangs his chest*)

inx
08-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Knighted? What, are you crazy? Jackson has benefitted from over 80 million dollars worth of New Zealand taxpayer's money so by 'standing up to the government' I guess you mean 'blowing the government'. And yes, he has made it much easier for foreigners to film here. At the moment we're considered 'cheaper than Mexico'. He currently employs 90% americans for the Fx on ROTK. How exactly is this LA whore good for NZ? Good luck getting a job at anything other then entry level at Weta. And get ready to stay at entry level for the whole project - unless you talk with an American accent, you're ****ed buddy.

NUKE-CG
08-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Thanks Man !
You're quite the motivational speaker !

Employing only Americans is totally horse shit though, don't know what you're talking about there.. they are mostly american because they have a population of 280 million.. cheap airfares, and they live in a scary place, don't blame them for working in NZ where 1 person dies, and it's in the papers/news for weeks.

As for Peter, you have to start somewhere, he might come off as an ass, better in the long run, good things take time.

jschleifer
08-14-2003, 05:50 AM
ahem.

If you want a job at weta, send in your reel. if you're good and there's a spot available, you'll get hired. doesn't matter if your american, kiwi, aussie, afgani, budapestian, hermaphraditian, or french.

-jason

Originally posted by inx
Knighted? What, are you crazy? Jackson has benefitted from over 80 million dollars worth of New Zealand taxpayer's money so by 'standing up to the government' I guess you mean 'blowing the government'. And yes, he has made it much easier for foreigners to film here. At the moment we're considered 'cheaper than Mexico'. He currently employs 90% americans for the Fx on ROTK. How exactly is this LA whore good for NZ? Good luck getting a job at anything other then entry level at Weta. And get ready to stay at entry level for the whole project - unless you talk with an American accent, you're ****ed buddy.

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 06:07 AM
I can't believe people are saying he (or anyone) "deserves" that amount of money. I think he deserves about $40-50k USD per year, like the rest of us. What a screwed up economy (and it's no wonder)...

Array
08-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash
I can't believe people are saying he (or anyone) "deserves" that amount of money. I think he deserves about $40-50k USD per year, like the rest of us. What a screwed up economy (and it's no wonder)...

ok lets me ask you this.....DO YOU have the creativity and endurance to make a SUCCESFUL adaptation of one of the most famous book series EVER? Didnt think so....

inx
08-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Yes I do

SheepFactory
08-14-2003, 06:58 AM
if anyone deserved it its peter jackson.

Hookflash go and watch the behind the scenes of LOTR fellowship of the ring special edition. I would have eaten prozacs like m&m's if I had to go through half the shit Peter jackson gone through in making these movies.

appereantly you still think Directors job only includes shouting "action" and "cut"

:rolleyes:

SheepFactory
08-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by inx
Yes I do

than why didnt you direct the movie?

jschleifer
08-14-2003, 07:01 AM
lol!

seriously, if you saw the amount of pressure that pj's under to get this thing right.. the amount of money being spent on him, the amount of his life that he's given up, the amount of shit in his head..

I seriously doubt many people in this world could do it.

Maybe you could inx, and if you can.. great! I can't wait to see what ya do!

AND, if you can do it.. then you'll really apprciate all that pj's doing to get these films done, and you probably won't give him any grief.

If he's able to convince some company who's going to be making MAJOR BANK off his creative work to give him a large portion of that money.. well hell, he friggin deserves it, I think. Good on 'im.

-jason

Emergence
08-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by inx

Whew! Thems Strong words! I don't even know where to begin with a response.

Agreed Weta is dominated by US artists, and it's a fact that to get jobs in this industry it helps to know people. Lots of the people here know other people with the skills to work here and help them to get hired here. many of them are in the US, many are not.

here's my story:

I am a native Kiwi, i got hired by an american producer to do previs for LOTR. he hired me based on a pretty basic demo reel. (He got my reel because i met someone who was already working here who recommended me) I got crap money and did what was considered an entry level Job. I loved it. i got to work with some of the best people working in Film making and visual effects in the world. I worked my ass off. I learnt and learnt. After previs wrapped PJ asked for me to join the animation team because he liked some of the previs I had done for gollum. Into the world of feature animation went I ,thanks to PJ. Again I learnt and learnt and worked my ass off. Currently I'm working as an animation sequence lead and previs lead for ROTK. All without ever having to leave wellington.

Thank You Mr Peter Jackson! (and all those who gave me a chance or mistook me for someone else)

Sometimes i can't believe the things i get to do here and i get scared that it will all end and i will have to go back to the "normal" world. I know i'm lucky and you are correct that there are relatively few kiwis at weta digital (weta workshop, editorial, the shoot crews, the art department and sound department are a different story) however as Jason said and I may as well quote directly:

"If you want a job at weta, send in your reel. if you're good and there's a spot available, you'll get hired. doesn't matter if your american, kiwi, aussie, afgani, budapestian, hermaphraditian, or french"

It's kinda boring to say it again but talent and persistence will get you work in this industry no matter where you're from.

and my accent is still decidedly Kiwi - Jason still has trouble understanding me, well when I mumble into my keyboard he does.

-Richard

taffy77
08-14-2003, 07:20 AM
As Jason said, Weta hire the people with the best skills. We are not staffed by 90 percent americans. There are people from all over the world here.

And we have many artists who have worked there way into the comp dept from roto/paint. There are other staff who have moved into 3D dept also.

P.S I am not american

Welf

Snr. Compositor

The comp dungeon Weta

ZeroNeuro
08-14-2003, 07:35 AM
One thing good to come from this thread. Welcome Weta peeps! We all admire and respect your ability and dedication. I for one am looking forward to seeing the 3rd, AND King Kong.. I mean damn. King Kong by Edgar Wallace?? What is Peter, a Masochist? *grin* Btw... Jason... you should really stop by and say hello to the IRC crowd. We Miss ya!

PS. Once my reel's done... *grin*

Cheers
Ritchie Roberts

jason-slab
08-14-2003, 07:46 AM
:hmm: , so here we have one of those threads that is going nowhere fast

always find it stange that some ppl have such negative views on the industry they are in or trying to get into. very strange

personally i love it, so good luck to pj and all the folks at weta, i'm sure king kong will be a great movie:thumbsup:

|jason

malducin
08-14-2003, 07:53 AM
He certainly deserves it though you have to bee leery that this won't become rampant and turn like what happens with actors, with sometimes obscene amount of money as salary. After all that means less money for actual production (the below the line costs). At least PJ is a good director who has busted his chops for more than 2 years.

Though if there was any justice, they would give PJ say something moer reasonable like 5 million and give the rest 15 million as bonuses to the production people including Weta ;-).

ambient-whisper
08-14-2003, 08:32 AM
looks like he hasnt slept in days. and hasnt had time to comb his hair... and/or take a shower :) busy guy.
http://www.rednova.com/news/images/4/2003/08/13/jackson_peter_1big_bbc.jpg

but yeah. to anyone that doubts his work, just go out and watch the FOTR extended dvd :)

leuey
08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Well 'deserve' is probably the wrong word. He's *worth* it. Or so the studio thinks. If they didn't think he was *worth* it - they wouldn't pay him that much. It's not like they're just giving away money - we're talking about some of the stingiest bastards in the world here :) It's as simple as that.

Peter Jackson is *worth* that much to the studio b/c they feel it's a good return on their investment. Just like Jordon was *worth* 30 million per year for the Bulls his last 2 seasons (at the Bulls) - because he was a good risk for a return on their investment.

To say Jackson 'deserves' only $40-50K per year is (no offense) naive and...uh...stupid (sorry).

best,

Greg

Steveyola
08-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I personally love the guy.He has brought me alot of fun and joy with his work,his talent deserves all he can get.Cant wait for the DVD and then the third installment,then KONG baby.:thumbsup: :beer:

P_T
08-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
looks like he hasnt slept in days. and hasnt had time to comb his hair... and/or take a shower :) busy guy.

i think that's just the way he looks lol.. i heard he'd go to Oscar in shorts and t-shirt if people don't make him wear suit...

Onno
08-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Let's see whether he can get those awesome Braindead + Bad Taste special FX in there! :p

JamesMK
08-14-2003, 01:15 PM
I usually freak out about the amounts of money that some people in the movie industry are making - but this is one of the few cases I've seen where they could basically give him any amount, and I would just go "OK, he definitely is worth it" - the amount of dedication from Mr Jackson on LOTR is, I'm sure, totally in a league of its own.

I would be surprised if any other director ever in the history of motion pictures has worked as hard for such a long time on a project as he has.... And if you make the cash flow, you deserve to get some payback, right?

Way to go!

kevin3d
08-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
One thing good to come from this thread. Welcome Weta peeps! We all admire and respect your ability and dedication......

Cheers
Ritchie Roberts

Yes, I agree. (Ritchie, you are obviously a "the glass-is-half-full" kind of guy :) ).

And while this thread IS going nowhere fast, I just have to say how much I admire the work & philosophy I saw represented in the 'making of" sections on the LOTR DVD.

And speaking of a thread going nowhere fast.....can any of you WETAians tell us if you folks use Cinema4D for any aspect of your production?

jason-slab
08-14-2003, 02:01 PM
kevin3d,

havn't u heard, Bay is using Poser to develop KK:p

|jason

mattregnier
08-14-2003, 03:16 PM
If you don't have that kind of drive that peter jackson has then quick head back to school for something else, you do not belong in this industry. It has to be passion, live it, breathe it, and sleep it, or get out

mjnewcombe
08-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm glad to see Peter Jackson doing very well for himself, he's increased interest in New Zealand as a country, finally we are no longer stuck in Aussies shadow and this has produced huge spins through tourism etc, I also don't see a problem with such market forces either, If David Beckham can earn £50 Million from kicking a football then I don't see why someone as enterprising as Peter Jackson shouldn't. My question to Mr Frances Moore is this:

"Had you trained in CG in New Zealand and what did you put on your showreel, you say it was very basic, I'm interested to know what kinds of stuff you showed. I know of two Diplomas in 3D Comp Anim in NZ and wondered if you had passed through one of these or are self taught. You mentioned that presently there are not very many kiwis working for Weta Digital, is this because NZ is in short supply of qualified people from within the country and therefore Weta is having to source from overseas or that the standard is not up to scratch. As a kiwi myself currently training in 3D Computer Animation at the University of Bournemouth here in the United kingdom I'm interested to know what the future of the NZ CG industry is likely to be like after ROTK. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thalaxis
08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Good, he made the studios probably in the range of a few billion dollars from the LOTR series by the time ROTK comes out.

The ones that turned him down for LotR probably feel pretty
silly right now ;)

Peter Reynolds
08-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Meet the Feebles is still ahead of its time.

A lot of famous directors have said in the past that Lord of the Rings could not be made. George Lucas has been quoted as saying, that not only could it not be made, but that if it was made, only ILM could handle the fx.

PJ has come a long way - I think he's earned it.

chips__
08-14-2003, 03:59 PM
I really think everyone working on the triology deserves as much of everything they can get. great movies, and you guys finally showed the world that you don't need to be ILM, PDI, DD or Sony to do cool stuff!

Saying that people are not 'worth' an amount is to me, kinda stupid. If the rest of the crew was starving and not making a dime, then yes, it would be wrong, but i don't think that's the case? it's not that pj as a person is a trillion times better than the pope (ooops, i think), but a person is worth, pay wise, what people will pay them. And if a studio is willing to pay pj a large amount of money to have something close to the weight of the world on his shoulders for years and years, and doing what would seem impossible, and stand somewhat resposible that the whole thing works out, then he's worth that!
To the rest of us, who he (and weta, and the crew and cast) has to be worth a lot to, entertaining us and not least, inspiring us.
just my .02€

oh, and if money is an issue, why not just make one big movie: Lord of the Rings 3: Return of the King Kong? haha, ok, i'm sure you've heard that one a miiiliiion times before

lildragon
08-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by mattregnier
If you don't have that kind of drive then quick head back to school for something else, you do not belong in this industry. It has to be passion, live it, breathe it, and sleep it, or get out

So you're saying he doesn't have these qualities because he was offered more money? I'm sorry but this is the most inane thing I've ever heard, are you currently working in the industry? if you were you would seriously take back this sentence.

Granted you need passion and whatnot, but if you seriously believe that's what makes any movie (especially one of this caliber) a reality you seriously need to be educated.

-lild

mattregnier
08-14-2003, 05:38 PM
lild- you totally missed my point, I was saying that if ANYONE in the industry DOESN'T have the drive, motivation, what-have-you that Peter Jackson has, then you're in the wrong business. Maybe it sounded wrong the way I originally worded it :shrug:

I edited the original post to better get across what i was trying to say :)

lildragon
08-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by mattregnier
But if I was in his position getting to create my dreams, I know that I would do that for free :)

Well you should construct your sentences better, because after that you said the previous quote.

-lild

Boone
08-14-2003, 07:02 PM
I personally think that Peter Jackson was slapping himself on the back a little too-much in the LOTR docs. I think it's up to the audience to decide if the films look "authentic" & "beautiful"...

Still, the man has proved a force to be reckoned with and has made a trilogy worthy to stand alongside the Star Wars saga, King-Kong, Jurassic Park, Gone With the wind etc...

The man had done a heroic effort with the LOTR triolgy...although I've yet to see ROTK.

I look very forward to seeing the new King-Kong movie.

Re: J.Schefier.

I'd love to be in the new version of King-Kong - how do I go about being an extra? I don't care if kong accidently stamps on me!:D

malducin
08-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Sheez Lucas can't shake off anything. Actually at one point Lucas and Spielberg wanted to make it. Back then there were few huge facilities that could do it. Certainly not Weta. Weta Digital was basicly formed by an ex-ILM guy. PJ actually visited Lucas at Skywalker Ranch and ILM and are friendly and mutually praise each other. PJ and other key memebers went to learn how to do big scale animatics work. PJ was invited to the Ep. 2 set to see how shooting went and see how people like Rob Coleman worked.

As far as people being worth money, sure some people deserve it but just look at actors or the world of sports where people are paid huge amounts, in some cases it's destroying the sport. You raely see coaches earn as much. And then spoiled brat players insult he coaches, hold out, don't show up for practice and fizzle after being paid. Or company executives being paid millions even after running companies to the ground. What was it something like the difference now in salaries between CEOs and employees has risen to 500 to 1 or something like that?

Kinda reminds me of that antipiracy ad with the painter barely making end meet. Seems to me the problem is not piracy but that these few producers and big wigs exploit their workers, compensate themselvels in millions why the hard working folks barely make it.

Now I'm not saying PJ is one of those cases above, but hopefully it won't turn to a that case. Every Summer we see it, movies with actors getting 20 million, the director 5 million, the screenplay (between the rights, buying stories long in development plus the long string of screenwriters) which might be several millions, a few other high profile actors, producers with their cuts, and it end up that half of the money of a 100 million movie goes to just a fwe above the line people. And when the movie flops stupi dreporters and critics say that it was because the VFX were bad, or no production values, or something ridiculous. Just remember what it was said about why Tomb Raider and other sequels were a disappointment this year. It were a couple of threads here. If anything above the line people should get their money of the backend after a saller upfront salary, so their intake is conmesurate of how much the movie made. Then again that's system is not perfect as it might negatively influence smaller films.

See it this way, say if KK casted a 20 million dollar star (the studio might demand a big name for a big film), by the time we get to filming 40 to 50 million are spent by above line leaving less money for production. Sure it's cheaper to work in New Zealnad but wouldn't it be better to spend that money on production values: more money and time for VFX, extensive location shooting, more and bigger sets, etc?

At least PJ has proven himself, but there are many hack directors out there directing big films and even more ill conceived projects.

Ibox
08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
I'me sorry, but nobody IMHO is worth this kind of money... period... my wife under went brain surgery last year and survived eh... and her surgeon makes approx 500,000.00... get the picture here ok... and then there are those many third world countries eh... ah, this is rediculous already... greed is one of the very things propelling this planet to... (fill in the blanks eh)

Say what ya want, your going to anyways... but the day when anybody makes more than a brain surgeon is the day that people should wake up eh... and that day is long over due..

Just my opinion, and... I am entitled to it eh... :thumbsdow

Boone
08-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Re: IBox.

I'm happy to hear your wife survived surgery last year - it must have been a time of torment waiting for news that she was OK...:beer:

Still, do remember that PJ is sharing his 20mil with 2 other people in order to create King Kong...so its not as bad as it seems.;)

Array
08-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Ibox
I'me sorry, but nobody IMHO is worth this kind of money... period... my wife under went brain surgery last year and survived eh... and her surgeon makes approx 500,000.00... get the picture here ok... and then there are those many third world countries eh... ah, this is rediculous already... greed is one of the very things propelling this planet to... (fill in the blanks eh)

Say what ya want, your going to anyways... but the day when anybody makes more than a brain surgeon is the day that people should wake up eh... and that day is long over due..

Just my opinion, and... I am entitled to it eh... :thumbsdow

Ok, not to be rude or anything, but how many people's lives did the brain surgeon touch? True a surgeon affects lives in a much more profound way than any movie director ever can, but people dont pay to watch an operation.

If PJ can get millions of people to get into a theater, I think he is worth it from an investor's point of view.

mattregnier
08-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Well you should construct your sentences better, because after that you said the previous quote.

-lild

My response wasn't intended to slam pj or anyone. I intended it to come across: People create cg because they love to do it. Granted, you have to make some money to get by, but if you are doing it for the sheer sake of making money, then you've got your priorities messed up.

Most consider themselves an artist before entrepeneur. I may be wrong, please correct me if I am. And yes I still do stand by my quote.

I wish the world was setup where I create my dreams and do it for free, but the fact of the matter is at the end of the day you still need compensation. The roof over your head and the full stomach don't get there for free ;)

*misunderstood and abused the lantern retires from this thread...

lildragon
08-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Ibox, totally understand your situation with your wife, had a friend's wife pull through a brain tumor last year, so I know how it goes.

But I have one out of the blue question. Are you Canadian? I mean born and raise Nova Scotian or other, cause heh I mean you use "eh" so many times I just had to ask :) plus all the "..." make it a very tough read when you type, maybe you missed the commas "," in your hurry to type? :). Sorry I just had to ask heh, no offense.

-lild

Per-Anders
08-14-2003, 07:43 PM
you warrant what you're able to get, and right now peter is able to get this huge sum. yes it is about location, sendipity and all the rest, but two people in the same circumstance, one puts their all in, the other can't be bothered and complains that the other is greedy... sheesh. he wasn't merely at teh right place at teh right time, he was able to see that he was at the right place and at the right time, and he worked bloody hard to leverage that. he deserves it imo.

Originally posted by stal3fish
kevin3d,

havn't u heard, Bay is using Poser to develop KK:p

|jason

silly response dude. you need to check soft and who's using it before dissing it. :rolleyes: and need i mention z-brush?

malducin
08-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Wow this sure is gonna get out of hand and I'm sure I'll regret posting this. Maybe it just came across wrong but sure doesn't sound right to me.

But are we saying that having lots of people sitting on their arse, eating popcorn and watching a movie (though entertainment is a noble endeavor) is more valuable than a human life?!?! That is a sorry state of affairs. Sorry but nothing is more valuable than a human life (unless your last name ends in Hitler or Hussein ;-).

On the other hand I do think some people do deserve that kind of money but we have it a lot of time backwards. How about if someone had given Mother Teresa 20 million to take care of the poors and lepers. how about giving to someone who could find the cure for cancer or AIDS, have cheap crops in poor nations, etc. Really having sportsemen and entertainers, many who act like jackasses, are not really productive in the greater picture. Sure they might bring joy to millions but does that matter if you kid has leukemia, if you mother gets breast cancer, if you are homeless because a CEO cahed in and closed hte factories in your town, etc.

Array
08-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by malducin
Wow this sure is gonna get out of hand and I'm sure I'll regret posting this. Maybe it just came across wrong but sure doesn't sound right to me.

But are we saying that having lots of people sitting on their arse, eating popcorn and watching a movie (though entertainment is a noble endeavor) is more valuable than a human life?!?! That is a sorry state of affairs. Sorry but nothing is more valuable than a human life (unless your last name ends in Hitler or Hussein ;-).

On the other hand I do think some people do deserve that kind of money but we have it a lot of time backwards. How about if someone had given Mother Teresa 20 million to take care of the poors and lepers. how about giving to someone who could find the cure for cancer or AIDS, have cheap crops in poor nations, etc. Really having sportsemen and entertainers, many who act like jackasses, are not really productive in the greater picture. Sure they might bring joy to millions but does that matter if you kid has leukemia, if you mother gets breast cancer, if you are homeless because a CEO cahed in and closed hte factories in your town, etc.

actually people get paid a LOT of $$$ if their medical research proves succesful. just look at Pfizer if you need an example.

Boone
08-14-2003, 08:25 PM
All you guys have over looked one thing - Peter Jackson is "SHARING" the 20 million with two other King Kong Collaberators.

So he isn't getting 20 million.

What part of that don't you all understand?:banghead:

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Array
ok lets me ask you this.....DO YOU have the creativity and endurance to make a SUCCESFUL adaptation of one of the most famous book series EVER? Didnt think so....

I don't have the creativity or endurance to succesfully direct my way out of a wet paper bag, but I don't think that justifies the difference between PJ's (or any actor, musician, pro athlete, etc.) salary and mine. However, I will say this: PJ deserves that money more than most big-name actors.

Joviex
08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Array
Ok, not to be rude or anything, but how many people's lives did the brain surgeon touch? True a surgeon affects lives in a much more profound way than any movie director ever can, but people dont pay to watch an operation.

If PJ can get millions of people to get into a theater, I think he is worth it from an investor's point of view.

WTF? PJ touches lives? He has the power to heal the sick and save someone's life?

I think you need to get out and/or read more.

What the hell does getting more people into the theatre have to do with brain surgery and saving a human life?

He by no means deserves the money, but he is now worth the money, since everything in the world comes attached with monetary value.

That being, entertainment highly rated, getting to know no limit on spending, human life, not worth 2$.

I think we as a race have things slightly backwards, and sinking into a void for 2+ hours of entertainment to fool ourselves that the world is a better place, not the good road.

Do I think we should abolish entertainment? No, it has a place, but with the ever growing need to toss millions and hundreds of millions into a flickering image, rather than, as someone said, feed the poor, heal the sick, right some, at least, minor wrongs..... ass-backwards.

msp
08-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Weta Digital was basicly formed by an ex-ILM guy.

Really? Who?

Martin Preston

SheepFactory
08-14-2003, 10:10 PM
I don't have the creativity or endurance to succesfully direct my way out of a wet paper bag, but I don't think that justifies the difference between PJ's (or any actor, musician, pro athlete, etc.) salary and mine.

Hookflash you really are something.

That justifies exactly why they get paid the big bucks and you'll get paid $7 an hour at mc donalds flipping burgers.

Now I am sure if you were talented and they offered you $20 million , you wouldnt say "oh no nonono , just give me $40k i am cool with that , i dont deserve $20 million"

do you mind telling me what justifies earning big money? , so according to you , a brain surgeon , a pro league football player and a janitor all should make around $40 - 60 k?

Array
08-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by amorano
WTF? PJ touches lives? He has the power to heal the sick and save someone's life?

I think you need to get out and/or read more.

What the hell does getting more people into the theatre have to do with brain surgery and saving a human life?

He by no means deserves the money, but he is now worth the money, since everything in the world comes attached with monetary value.

That being, entertainment highly rated, getting to know no limit on spending, human life, not worth 2$.

I think we as a race have things slightly backwards, and sinking into a void for 2+ hours of entertainment to fool ourselves that the world is a better place, not the good road.

Do I think we should abolish entertainment? No, it has a place, but with the ever growing need to toss millions and hundreds of millions into a flickering image, rather than, as someone said, feed the poor, heal the sick, right some, at least, minor wrongs..... ass-backwards.

Reread my post. A doctor has the power to change and touch people's lives. PJ has the creativity and willpower to get people to spend money to sit in a chair for three hours (although doctors are quite good at making people sit in chairs as well).

I guess my point is, PJ will get a lot more people to see his movies than any single doctor will treat in a lifetime.

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
Hookflash you really are something.

Why? Because I don't agree with you? Because I'm honest about myself? Could you possibly use a more condescending tone?

That justifies exactly why they get paid the big bucks and you'll get paid $7 an hour at mc donalds flipping burgers.

Again with the condescension. That's petty. Just for the record, I don't work at McDonalds "flipping burgers". And, no, my lack of creativity does not justify Peter Jackson (or anyone) making several thousand times more money than I do. Two or three times, perhaps, but not thousands.

Now I am sure if you were talented and they offered you $20 million , you wouldnt say "oh no nonono , just give me $40k i am cool with that , i dont deserve $20 million"

I don't know what I'd do, since I've never been offered that amount of money. I'm human, so I'd probably take it and spend it on houses, cars, and women. However, I would be wrong in doing so. If, on the other hand, their initial offer was $40-50k, and I really wanted the job, I'd take it. Wouldn't you?

do you mind telling me what justifies earning big money? , so according to you , a brain surgeon , a pro league football player and a janitor all should make around $40 - 60 k?

Nothing justifies earning that kind of "big money". You're saying different people deserve different incomes, and I suppose I would agree. However, I don't think that one person deserves thousands of times more than any other. I could understand an actor making twice as much as a janitor (if that), and a brain surgeon making more than an actor (say, 1.5x). But I can't understand Jim Carrey making hundreds of times more than money than a good family doctor.

jschleifer
08-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Boone
Re: J.Schefier.

I'd love to be in the new version of King-Kong - how do I go about being an extra? I don't care if kong accidently stamps on me!:D [/B]

come to nz when they start casting around for 'em.. and if you've got the right look and the availability, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

<shrug>

never did the extras work myself... too busy sitting on my ass hitting the "s" key. :)

inx
08-14-2003, 10:46 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weta Digital was basicly formed by an ex-ILM guy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah ha hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Wrong.

jschleifer
08-14-2003, 10:58 PM

Nothing justifies earning that kind of "big money". You're saying different people deserve different incomes, and I suppose I would agree. However, I don't think that one person deserves thousands of times more than any other. I could understand an actor making twice as much as a janitor (if that), and a brain surgeon making more than an actor (say, 1.5x). But I can't understand Jim Carrey making hundreds of times more than money than a good family doctor.

Okay, I'm just going to say this once.

SOMEBODY is going to have to get the money. Right? A studio is going to make a film. The film is going to be shown to theatres. People are going to say "hey, I want to see this movie! would you like to see this movie, too?" Then those people will go to the theatre and plunk down 8-12 dollars of their hard-earned cash. Then they'll spend 50 dollars on popcorn and coke.. yummy! Then they'll sit down for 1 1/2 - 3 hours and watch the movie. Then they'll leave. Then more people will do it. In the end, the film will make 150 to 300 million dollars.

THAT MONEY has to go somewhere. Where would you prefer it to go?

1) The people who sign the checks
2) The people who work on a small part of the film
3) The people who do the advertising for the film
4) The people who write the film and hand it off
5) The people who take a written film and direct it, telling other people what to do to, trying to keep a cohesive vision
6) The people who sweep up the horse poop on the ground
7) The people who write, direct, produce, edit, and have general control over the ENTIRE production.

Take your pick.

Remember, the money is there, it should go somewhere.

-jason

leigh
08-14-2003, 11:10 PM
OMG I can't believe some of the things being said here.

Hookflash, get real. So you think that everyone should get crappy pay just because you do? I think it's time you move to a Communist country. I am certainly not a money oriented person myself, but at least I am honest with myself and the rest of the world - I can honestly say that I think that people like Peter Jackson deserve to be incredibly wealthy.

Quite frankly, Peter Jackson has done more work in the last 5 years than I will probably do in my entire life - I respect the man completely and I think it is perfectly justified that he makes a lot of money and can live comfortably.

Your "moral stance" that is (as usual) laced with self-pity and attention-begging is getting really tiring. Since you seem to have no respect for people who work really hard and deserve the life they have, then perhaps you should refrain from further insulting them - your entire tone smacks of jealousy.

And as for touching lives, for what it's worth, Peter Jackson and Lord Of The Rings have certainly had a profound effect on my own life.
The films (and books as well, of course) inspire me on a daily basis, and give me something to work towards. PJ may not be a brain surgeon, but that doesn't change the fact that his production has touched the hearts of millions of viewers around the world, has given inspiration to many artists, and has provided a breeding ground for new CG techniques and talent at Weta Digital.

It's not only doctors and scientists that make a difference in this world, it's the artists too, and Peter Jackson has certainly qualified himself in that regard.

A lot of people probably find my love for these books and these films really pathetic, but you know what? I don't care what people think - at least I have something in my life that inspires me, and as long as I am inspired, I feel happy.

People that have no respect and feel jealous about other people because they are well off for all the incredibly hard work they have done are even worse than supposed injustice that they are complaining about. When it comes down to it, these people probably want to sit and do nothing and get paid for it - it's always the lazy, selfish and greediest people that expect to get something for nothing. And then they kick up a fuss because when they see other people working hard, something deep down inside them feels insecure and unequal because they know that they themselves are the leeches, so they make a loud noise about it to try and convince themselves that they are right.

Signal2Noise
08-14-2003, 11:19 PM
Well said Leigh & jschleifer:thumbsup:

And remember, to build on jschleifer's points, how did all that revenue get generated in the first place?

That's right: # 7. Most of the money initially comes out of thier pockets to get projects started. They deserve to reap the rewards.

ZeroNeuro
08-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Quite frankly, Peter Jackson has done more work in the last 5 years than I will probably do in my entire life [/B]

He cant texture an orc... and he's not our Leigh. Everyone has a part to play in this tragic comedy called 'life'.

Peter is a wonderful man. And I would love to meet, or work with, him. And I think he is more deserving of the money than an NBA player, or a Baseball player. So hey, give him all the money he needs. You know why? Cause King Kong by Edgar Wallce is a FAR more challenging book to portray on screen than just a simple big ape movie. Ever read it? It's a social diarama and took on the morality of doing science as discovery while raping the natural world. THis was written in the Victorian era. When science started to become king. When Darwin was alive. right around the time Babbage made his designs for the difference engine. It is going to be one hell of a challenge.

JasonS: Hey maybe I'll work with ye one day. heheh :)

Cheers
Ritchie Roberts

leigh
08-14-2003, 11:31 PM
I need to rant more because this is something I am very passionate about...

Peter Jackson is seriously a hero of mine. It is a dream of mine to one day meet him, and to tell him just how much his screen adaptation of one of my absolute favourite books of all time has touched my life so profoundly and has given me the inspiration and the drive to improve myself as an artist.

And if speaking of money to people wasn't such a taboo, I would be sure to mention to him that I hope he can jump regularly into a bathful of cash because I think he is more than worth it.
For one man to so passionately and bravely create such a masterpiece of cinema history, he deserves everything he has and more.

And just one more thing: I may not know the man, and have never met him, but I am absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that Peter Jackson is not in this business solely for making money. It's just one of the perks of the job.

And as Jason has pointed out, the money has to go somewhere anyway - who would you have it go to? It's not like all his staff and crew worked for free, and he is some tyrant at the top who is cashing in on slavery.

It really disgusts me that some people have no respect for a person who has worked his ass off around the clock for god knows how many years now to bring a story to life.

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by jschleifer
Okay, I'm just going to say this once.

SOMEBODY is going to have to get the money. Right? A studio is going to make a film. The film is going to be shown to theatres. People are going to say "hey, I want to see this movie! would you like to see this movie, too?" Then those people will go to the theatre and plunk down 8-12 dollars of their hard-earned cash. Then they'll spend 50 dollars on popcorn and coke.. yummy! Then they'll sit down for 1 1/2 - 3 hours and watch the movie. Then they'll leave. Then more people will do it. In the end, the film will make 150 to 300 million dollars.

THAT MONEY has to go somewhere. Where would you prefer it to go?

1) The people who sign the checks
2) The people who work on a small part of the film
3) The people who do the advertising for the film
4) The people who write the film and hand it off
5) The people who take a written film and direct it, telling other people what to do to, trying to keep a cohesive vision
6) The people who sweep up the horse poop on the ground
7) The people who write, direct, produce, edit, and have general control over the ENTIRE production.

Take your pick.

Remember, the money is there, it should go somewhere.

-jason

So, perhaps too much revenue is being generated (some people here will consider this statement blasphemy;)). Maybe ticket prices should be lowered. I'm not ranting against PJ in particular. It's this whole "We'll take take every damned penny you're willing to pay, even if we couldn't possibly spend it all in one lifetime" attitude that worries me. Why can't people just take enough money to live comfortably? What's the difference between $20 million and $2 million in terms of living conditions?

Leigh: Frankly, I'm taken aback by your personal attack against me. I don't know why you would assume I'm lazy or jealous. Seriously, read my posts again (objectively)... Where exactly are you getting these ideas from? Is it just because you are very, very, very fond of Peter Jackson? If so, I can understand that... I have idols too (Eddie Vedder, incidentally;)), but I don't try to crush and belittle people who have something bad to say about him. EDIT: And, I haven't even said anything bad about Peter Jackson!

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by jschleifer
Then they'll spend 50 dollars on popcorn and coke.. yummy!

I smuggle my own treats in. Shhhh! ;)

ZeroNeuro
08-14-2003, 11:47 PM
I have idols too (Eddie Vedder, incidentally;))

well this is a personal problem.

To be frank. Peter made a movie enjoyed by millions world wide. He vindicated himself against the critics. He vindicated himself with Tolkien fans (a rather rabid group of chaps I gaurantee.) Do you know what he will most likely do with that 20 million? He will probably invest much of it into Weta and employ more artists and more people. Generate more chances for unknown artists.

Cheers!
Ritchie Roberts

Hookflash
08-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
well this is a personal problem.

To be frank. Peter made a movie enjoyed by millions world wide. He vindicated himself against the critics. He vindicated himself with Tolkien fans (a rather rabid group of chaps I gaurantee.) Do you know what he will most likely do with that 20 million? He will probably invest much of it into Weta and employ more artists and more people. Generate more chances for unknown artists.

Cheers!
Ritchie Roberts

Look, I like Peter Jackson, and I love the LotR movies so far. However, I just don't think anyone deserves to earn $20 million for making a movie. He's a great guy I'm sure, but, to me, $20 million seems a little excessive.

leuey
08-15-2003, 12:00 AM
I just don't understand where you're coming from Hookflash - you seem very adament about this point but you don't offer any reasons *why*. Jackson is getting offered his market value - simple as that. The executive producers are going to risk *hundreds of millions* (production/ad/distribution/etc) on this project and they want it in good, cabable, proven hands. So they are willing to offer him X amount of money.

Are you saying Jackson should turn it down? Or are you saying he should never be offered that much in the first place? I don't (and I don't think anybody else, maybe even you) understands your reasoning. Articulate the *why* of your arguement. And for the record "Just because that's what I think..." isn't a valid arguement.

On the other hand don't feel compelled to answer - I spend WAAAAAAY too much time on cgtalk :blush:

Look, I like Peter Jackson, and I love the LotR movies so far. However, I just don't think anyone deserves to earn $20 million for making a movie. He's a great guy I'm sure, but, to me, $20 million seems a little excessive.

inx
08-15-2003, 12:05 AM
You know what he's LEAST likely to do with that 20 million?

Pay back a QUARTER of the money he owes the New Zealand taxpayer.

We've all got student loans to pay back. Why is this syphilitic whale any different?

Hookflash
08-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by leuey
I just don't understand where you're coming from Hookflash - you seem very adament about this point but you don't offer any reasons *why*. Jackson is getting offered his market value - simple as that. The executive producers are going to risk *hundreds of millions* (production/ad/distribution/etc) on this project and they want it in good, cabable, proven hands. So they are willing to offer him X amount of money.

Are you saying Jackson should turn it down? Or are you saying he should never be offered that much in the first place? I don't (and I don't think anybody else, maybe even you) understands your reasoning. Articulate the *why* of your arguement. And for the record "Just because that's what I think..." isn't a valid arguement.

On the other hand don't feel compelled to answer - I spend WAAAAAAY too much time on cgtalk :blush:

Ok, here's the "why":

I don't think anyone deserves to make that amount of money because it causes a very uneven distribution of wealth. If the studio (or sports team, or record label, etc.) is generating enough revenue to pay these kinds of salaries, perhaps they are generating too much revenue. Maybe they should lower the price of their product. Yes, we are perpetuating the problem by our willingness to pay however much they charge, but that doesn't make it right. The free market is all fine and dandy, but it would be nice if the people who drive it could show some restraint. Personally, I'd be more than happy with a $40-60k salary, regardless of my occupation.

Oh, and one other thing: "Market value" does not often equal "actual value".

coupon
08-15-2003, 12:24 AM
aww boo-boo, winz not helping you out enough? get over it, if anyone has a problem with the distribution of any large sum of money they should go out and earn it, earn, good word that, it's not a bloody gift, and then distribute it however they see fit. Bringing in rubbish like the plight of the poor/ill is irrelevant, the crossover between the two areas is less than negligible ffs. The only exception to this is with national budgets and state owned enterprises, where if you disagree with the way public funds are being spent, then it's your obligation to excercise your right to protest and do something about it, but inx, i don't think our PM/Minister of the arts is trolling these boards.

inx
08-15-2003, 12:35 AM
aww boo-boo, winz not helping you out enough? get over it, if anyone has a problem with the distribution of any large sum of money they should go out and earn it, earn, good word that, it's not a bloody gift, and then distribute it however they see fit.

senseless inane babble. Jackson didn't earn the 80 million tax dodge, he got given it.

if you disagree with the way public funds are being spent, then it's your obligation to excercise your right to protest and do something about it.

thanks for the tip, you rebel you. now blow me.

coupon
08-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by inx Jackson didn't earn the 80 million tax dodge, he got given it.

that's not the issue here though is it? you think the country's lost out in this deal? well, it's obvious you do, so we disagree, sweet.

thanks for the tip, you rebel you. now blow me.

you'll have to declare those earnings:p

Hookflash
08-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by coupon
aww boo-boo, winz not helping you out enough? get over it, if anyone has a problem with the distribution of any large sum of money they should go out and earn it, earn, good word that, it's not a bloody gift, and then distribute it however they see fit.

(assuming you're talking to me)

I'm talking about global distribution of wealth, not what PJ decides to do with his earnings. If I were to "go out and earn it", I would be guilty of the very things I'm "boo-hoo"ing over. And, just for the record, I'm not as adamant about these things as some of you assume.

malducin
08-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Well Is hould have said built up. Weta Digital wasn't more like a hadful of PCs in an office. Wes Takahashi went to new Zealand as a consultant and basicly help them buil a bigger and more capable pipeline that could do feature film VFX. That was before The Frighteners.

I'm not saying he was the only one or just because of him, but he was in great measure responsible for setting up Weta into something more than a boutique operation.

Then again maybe some people to do some revisionist story.

Originally posted by inx
Ah ha hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Wrong. [/B]

inx
08-15-2003, 01:40 AM
Wes Takahashi was a figurehead on the Frighteners who contributed nothing but coke and lazy dilletente friends from LA

He created no pipelines. Weta was well established and underway on the fx long before he arrived.

ZeroNeuro
08-15-2003, 01:49 AM
I feel like I am in highschool again: "But Bobby said that Mary said that she heard from Alice that George is going to the prom with Judy. But Judy told Christina who told Marcy (you know how she can't keep from gossiping, and why does she wear those shorts with her legs?) she told Marcy that she heard that Judy was going with Steve. But Steve told ME that he was going with Jenny..."

What the hell is this? Could we please have some level of professionalism please?

Cheers

Ibox
08-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey Lil Dragon, yup, born and raised Canadian for sure eh :D

Live out on the West Coast now adays, orig from Wpg, or Winterpeg, or Mosquitopeg hehe

No offence taken, I am a proud Canadian, short of real flag waving of course, I mean we are all in this big boat together eh ;) ;)

njr58
08-15-2003, 02:21 AM
I heard the NZ taypayer put up over a third of the budget of the film in tax breaks. Would that make it more like 100 million+ . As a tax payer I'd like to know where my share of the profits has gone.

jschleifer
08-15-2003, 03:14 AM
As a Tax payer who pays QUITE A BIT of taxes to NZ (whom can't even vote, mind you) personally, I'm more concerned about how my taxes are paying for things like this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2626554a6160,00.html

but this has nothing to do with cg.

I think this thread is going nowhere.

-jason

taffy77
08-15-2003, 03:28 AM
Okay so they got a tax break, but what has the knock effect been by having the production in NZ.

Most everyone who works on LOTR pay NZ tax. Staff spend our wages here on
Rent
Food/Drink/Drink/ and Drink
Entertainment

And NZ has benefited with a huge increase in tourism that far excedes $100m in worth.

And when it comes to the world premier in December just imagine how much money will be spent. I hear most hotels and hostels are already full.

Ibox
08-15-2003, 03:48 AM
I think this thread is going nowhere

right from the git go eh... hehe

MoThBall
08-15-2003, 06:01 AM
Whoa!!! What a war. Why cant we all play nice? I mean sure people are going to get paid more then what they are worth. But that’s the way it works. If people are willing to pay you that much then you take it. They guy is making his employers lots of money. So why shouldn’t he entitled to a cut.

Hmm actually this thread seams to be more on the way capitalism has ensnared us all.

Sure no one 'deserves' to be filthy rich. But when they do, there’s no need to say "its not fair!" or what not.

SO yeah in a perfect world, no he doesn’t deserve it. But he has it. No need holding it against the guy.

Oh and one more thing, sort of like a quote i guess. "What ever you gain, somewhere someone else is loosing" I like that cause so many think that making something of there lives involves having many things. Sometimes its good to sit back and say "do I really need everything?"

Peace!

Mark

hilscreate
08-15-2003, 06:13 AM
I think this tread is FLICKING funny. No sense not letting inx have his little thrill ride/moment in the sun, welfy,jason. You know how sour grapes are here in NZ. The sourier the grapes, the finer the wine.

This is brillant.

-dc-
08-15-2003, 07:40 AM
could one of the moderators please close this thread? This was a waste to read. I was excited to see what people had to say about Peter Jackson and King Kong, and instead I get this?!

Hookflash is obviously not backing down, and any attempt to understand his opinion only makes the situation worse than it already is. There are millions who would gladly take his side, and there are many more who would oppose.

The point is we are all entitled to our own opinions, and that doesn't neccessarily mean that we have the right to understand someone elses. Understanding what someone is trying to say, as opposed to letting them have their say, are two completely different things.

As for me, I have now had my "say", and I will subsequently be moving on to another thread....

Regards,

Joe

jason-slab
08-15-2003, 07:56 AM
as i said on page 2 this thread is going nowhere!! its pointless, the man's getting paid whether u like it or not!

Originally posted by mdme_sadie
silly response dude. you need to check soft and who's using it before dissing it. :rolleyes: and need i mention z-brush?

errr sorry, didn't know u where a poser user :surprised , and umm who said anything about z-brush?¿

really i was only kidding, no really!!

|jason