PDA

View Full Version : Environment Demo Reel 2009

loco0527
10-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey, this is my final reel for the completion of college... at the moment, I am interning for a instructor for the next few months to continue my education and producing two more assets ...unless jobs come...

Thanks for viewing ... comment and suggestions are welcomed.

http://www.vimeo.com/7078628

ziggwies
10-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I enjoyed watching the demo reel Anthony.

It's put together really well. The design and details of the castle is great.

borisignjatovic
10-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Great demo. But I think that it needs a little more working on the textures and lights. In some parts the light is too soft, I think.

I really like the wire transitions.

Overall very good demo.

loco0527
11-01-2009, 06:10 AM
thanks very much. i really appreciated it. im definitely working on a better environment for the castle and lighting.. i just ran out of time for school... now that i graduated it will be fully completed ...thanks again
Anthony Castro

http://www.wix.com/ecil708/anthonycastro

surreal-reality
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Great Job Anthony!, glad to have found your website and whatnot. I'm sure you'll do great out there.

loco0527
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks lucas,
congratulations on graduation and wonderful job on your demo reel...your reel was definitely a sight to see... good luck back home and definitely keep in touch..

Anthony Castro

flashgordy
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
very technical reel...pure stone ;) you coud put some plants in few places ;) but this is only my feeling

generally good reel, nice modelling skill you have
castle rulez

regards

Jeremydjutras
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Anthony,
very nice man, the music and camera in your reel still evoke quite a feeling from me. It is very nicely done. Amazing amount of modeling detail, great stuff man.
Good luck out there, and keep in touch.

-Jeremy Jutras

Splenetix
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I loved your reel. Just like a fairy tale ... as the camera rolls it tries to tell a story creates an expectation "whats gonna happen next"? Great work Anthony, great modelling, lovely colors and wonderful dreamy mood ... just like the theme

Wiro
11-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I think you got a really nice piece there that just needs a bit of refining.

The things that I'd personally work on are the closeups. Since you only have geometry to show off (and little to no textures) you need to put in more detail. Starting with the first shot, the shingles are all very prominent yet all look the same. Model a few chinks in, cut a few edges and make them look interesting enough to hold our interest as the camera pans around. This is the very first shot so it has to make us go wow. Get a little displacement (or even just bump) of flaked paint on the ledge as the camera moves down. From there on the model looks fine as the camera is now far enough away that you can take in the model as a whole (which does display some fine detail).
The pan past the entrance looks great.

The cut to the Disney-esque castle works really well with the music. Great details on the model too. Personally I'd tilt the camera down slightly as it moves up past the tower. It just feels a bit unnatural to keep the camera looking up and beyond the tower, as if there should be something more interesting to look at up there (I think the Disney intro would have had fireworks? Sorry don't have a movie at hand)

The following closeups look good but could again do with more subtle chinks and cracks. Nothing big (it's a fairytale castle after all) yet enough to make a viewer go wow, that's some neat attention to detail.

Since you're using minimal texturing I think it would benefit a lot from modeled-in "damage".
It's not what one would generally do in feature film (it would be done by displacement maps) but showing that you can do it without Zbrushing it in would make it all the more impressive.

Pretty good showcase for a 1:30 reel though

Wiro

Gazzamataz
11-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Well I though this was lovely! My only comment is that the camera is a tad jerky but that might just be the frame rate :-)

Perhaps a weathered version would be good to see as well.

loco0527
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow!! thanks guys all the input has been very beneficial..

Grzegorz--plants in spots sound like a great idea maybe some ivy too...playing with paint effects and terrain generators as we speak! thanks again bud

Jeremy - thank you my good friend.. best of luck to you as well and congrats on wonder animation reel!!

Splenetix- I am very glad you like my reel..and you explained everything i ever wanted the viewer to feel and capture when watching my reel..Thank you!

Arild Wiro- Hi there!!! thanks for the extensive critique, i happen to agree with nearly everything you said...My first asset was my biggest problem due to the fact that i was running out of time and needed to get the texturing done for the castle. now that i graduated i plan on working on this slowly to be a great piece of work.. with textures and lighting and environment..going towards the castle for the cameras i tried to keep the shot linear either going up or down ..if you watch again notice that..thats the reason for the flow.. i do agree with you that the camera could be tilted lower ..and fireworks as well are in the making ...lol...and those little details sound like an excellent idea for the close ups... i have a question though...would you be a little more specific about the modeled in detail? Also for which parts exactly would that be necessary and what would be over doing it?
THanks Wiro

Gary- thanks for enjoying my reel... im unsure about the frame rate issue, but i do like the suggestion for a weathered cinderella castle..Thanks!

Thanks again everyone!
also fyi both assets were completed in 5months ...3mothns for castle (along with another asset i felt not worth showcasing ) 1 month for the train station and 1 month texturing and rendering...just a little info about my reel...graduated from full sail university!

Wiro
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
No worries!
With the camera I think the upwards motion is fine. I just felt like rotating it down slightly while it moves up to keep the spire more focused. I don't think you actually need to add in fireworks as it might distract (and you're not after an FX job anyway)

As for the details, have a look at these pics:
http://www.craft-products.com/photos/rooftiles3.jpg
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/9545.jpg
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/539351

You can see how the tiles are all slightly uneven with different gaps and angles and also tiles being slightly chinked or maybe even cracked. There's also gruff and leafs on them. It's a lot to model so you can try to find a balance between that and using displacements/bumps. The same wear and tear can be modeled into the walls or beams.

Wiro

rasmusW
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
hey anthony!

this sure is one of the best environment reels i've seen. really impressive.
if you got back and did arild's suggestions it would pop even more.
also glad you did fall for the "1.30 min... naah! that's too short a reel" syndrome, and did a 3 min.
with this lenght you don't get bored.

this deserves more replies. hope you find your dream job.

-r

loco0527
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Hey guys

Wiro - Thanks for the reference!!! there really good examples! im texturing the train station right now and adding animation on needed parts. I hope you will check up on it as i post up my wip and final soon!

Rasmus- Thanks for the compliments...That really means a lot! and the time situation im glad you liked it ..for the longest time i thought it was too long! and about the dream job, any job would be a dream job at the moment... lol..whatever gets food on the table!!..haha..take care

Best wishes to both you guys and to everyone else ..thanks for your interest in my reel!
Anthony Castro

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.