PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Walk and Run : Weight

jpstrack
08-13-2003, 09:27 PM
My animation in the past has been very weightless (So I'm told) so I made this Walk and Run animation and I tried to focus on getting the weight right this time. The walk is finished, but I still need to do the upper body for the run.

Walk and Run (http://drawmyimage.com/runn1.avi)

Volker
08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Well, I never saw your previous version, but this version is still pretty weightless, especially the run. Just out of curiosity, try cuting half the frames out and run it at double speed, and I think you'll be closer on that run. The walk on the other hand doesn't look too bad. I'm not sure why he takes such a big step in the begining though. Why don't you just do a cycle, so it'll be easier to see over and over.

~Zach

jpstrack
08-14-2003, 12:04 AM
I made the run faster and also in the graph editor I selected all the top keys for his up and down motion and moved them over a few frames making his drop faster and his rise slower. I will see what I can do about making him run in place.

Walk and Run 2 (http://drawmyimage.com/runn2)

amo_77
08-14-2003, 12:26 AM
jpstrack, already the run looks better. Speeding up the pace really helped.

Some observations, suggestions: If you're gonna have him take off from a still, show more cycles. I think Zach is right in saying that you should try to make it a cycle. You will be able to tweak it much better (and it's also easier to crit!)

The feet are flat on the landing. You can change the style of a run cycle drastically by just changing the contact point of the feet and ground. Will he be sprinting (more on the ball)? Striding (more of a heel-to-toe action)? If you're tackling the lower body first, maybe work through some different foot contact positions and placements before moving on. If he's sprinting faster, his foot will be moving back even before it hits the ground. It propels him forward.

Good start. Keep it up and post more!

- A

jellyfish
08-14-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi, I don't have any C&C yet because it is difficult to analyse -- there is very little run appearing on the screen, most of it is launch. As they've mentioned, it would help us a lot if you could make a cycle out of your run, and we can work with you on that. If you also want to talk about your walk, do the same with that (but put it in a different movie). As it stands now, I just can't get a feel for his movement.

Oh, and go ahead and render out at 30 fps, otherwise it's a pain to see and critique details of movement.

jellyfish

jpstrack
08-14-2003, 05:56 AM
It took me a while, but I finally figured out a way to get him to run in place without starting over. I shift selected all moving parts and grouped them, then I animated the group to move in the other direction thus cancelling out any unwanted foreward movement.
I also fixed his flat feet and got started on the upper body.

Run3 (http://drawmyimage.com/runn3.avi)

Jerkazoid
08-14-2003, 11:38 AM
very crucial:

watch how your thighs double bounce at the drive-extend-plant-squish sequence

this is a very bad "nono" in motion and causes some serious weirdness.

you got the calves driving pretty accuratly "slingshotting" the body up.. but the thigh part is wrong.. they dont double bounce

it may seem like that when u think about a run in your head slowly but the thigh will remain pretty much the same angle untill the end of the compression when it starts to push off along with the calf+toes.

also watch the Keys on the shoulders.. your left arm (the only one we can really see) is not reaching a full maximum position at the extend phase (32-4)...and then holding too much(35-6)....even extending further, after it should have started to swing back (37).

hope that helps.

jpstrack
08-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks Jerkazoid, that is a good point about the thighs.
I realized that I was bringing the thighs too high (more than 90 degrees to the body at times) and they probably shouldn't even bend more than 50 degrees (130 degrees to the body). I will fix this right away.

mattregnier
08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
There's almost no movement/change of position in the right arm. You'll want to fix that, since he's realling running hard and his arms would be pumping, also try downloading some footage or watch people running (olympic track runners). You'll notice there's also quite a deal of movement in the head, which you need to add. Definitely improving, now take it that last step.

jpstrack
08-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Ok, here is try number 4. Its not quite there yet, the arms still look funny although they are much better. Thanks Jerkazoid I did what you said and it definitly helped a lot.

Mattregnier- can you be more specific about the head movement? Does it need to move from side to side or forewards and backwards? I have also heard from one of my teachers that the head should remain as stable as possible. I will try to find some more sources and reference for this.

Keep the crits coming they are definitely helping me improve!

Run4 (http://drawmyimage.com/runn4.avi)

amo_77
08-14-2003, 11:01 PM
It's looking better. I think you need to arc the hands more. Right now it looks as though he has a linear movement from back to front with his hands. His arms will pivot more at the shoulder to pump his arms.

You should determine what type of runner this guy going to be. Sprinters generally have very little head movement, as they try to streamline and eliminate extra movement. Someone just running for fun and being silly will have a lot more head movement.

- A

dmcgrath
08-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Okay, I like the fact that you are only showing us one character to crit on the last run cycle. But you should really concentrate on one guy at t time. I don't think you have either close enough that you should be working on the other one.

The first thing I noticed on Run#4 was that he is bobbing from side to side while he runs. I have never run like this before but it doesn't look very real to me, in timing or weight.
Generally a run foot print will look like this:
{
}
{
}
{
Not wide, side to side like yours:

Right now, you are also animating the hard way. Try to cut your time down, and start off with one leg forward and one all the way back. Maybe teh entire run cycle should be about 13-15 frames.

drifter51
08-16-2003, 08:29 PM
if you don't have it already, go buy "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams.

Jerkazoid
08-17-2003, 04:49 AM
the library is a great place to "check out" books on animation.

you can try Muybridge as well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.