PDA

View Full Version : [Camera Matching] - Outdoor Scene euipment?

MisterS
10-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Say you're camera matching an outdoor scene, do you litereally need to survey the whole lot if you intend to add shadows etc to a large area of your scene or is a lot of it guesswork?

I'm wondering if I should borrow some surveying equipment from work to determine exact levels etc for a shot I'm planning to take, it's just a field with no distinctive object in it so plan to make a reference I can use with posts and string.

Should I just wing it?

JoshKirk
10-19-2009, 04:13 AM
one of the common ways to get an idea is to take high res photos of a gazing ball in the area. Will give you a 360 view of the light in the area! Something like this
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1303/970969560_709fa1069f.jpg
but obviously you dont need one that large :)

edit: where you talking about surveying for the ground mesh or for the lighting?

MisterS
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi, I was just talking about surveying - or what equipment do most people use, especially if there are no flat surfaces. I've just done a camera match with a reasonably flat grass surface and made a cube out of bamboo canes with a few markers on them and it did the trick.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.