PDA

View Full Version : Low poly skull

biggestkid
10-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Hey guys ive done my best to create the lowest poly skull i could make. I think its pretty good, as this object will be quite small, so it does not have to be prefect.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2379/lowpolyskull.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/i/lowpolyskull.jpg/)
(Click to enlarge)

So there it is. What do you guys think?

Now i need to know how i should create a high poly version of this skull? Also, how should i unwrap it so that i can normal map it?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

HHH316
10-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi

I can see that you are new to modelling. The pic does have the shape of a skull. Select the polygons around the eye and extrude them inwards to give the model a more realistic look.

To do a high poly version. Basically you do all the details in low poly but then add a meshsmooth modifier to create a higher poly version.

biggestkid
10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi HHH and thanks for the respone. I originally started with eye holes, though this made the high poly and cage mesh too complicated, so i took them out. I use turbosmooth for the high poly btw.

So yeah, ive made my high poly, and i get some really weird results with the normal map. When i go to the apply the bitmap to the Normal bump slot in the material editor, its all oranges and reds and greens instead of the blues and pinks that a normal map should be. This was the first sign that something had gone wrong with the normal map. Then when i applied it, 80% of the model was rendered as black, or even being absent. So there is obviously something going wrong.

Any ideas?

HHH316
10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I have no experience with normal mapping. Hopefully someone else chips in.

Piflik
10-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Show your Normal Map. Maybe then someone can help.

Also I wouldn't let the Normal Map handle the eye-sockets...model them into the low.

biggestkid
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah thats what im doing, im not doin eye sockets at all anymore. This part of the model is going to be very small, so i decided i dont need the eye sockets in there at all.

Also i cant upload it as it is a tga.

musashidan
10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Also i cant upload it as it is a tga.

well convert it to a jpeg and upload it.............. oranges,reds,greens:sounds like you baked out a world/object space map instead of a tangent space map.

biggestkid
10-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Hmm so, how can i bake a tangent space map instead of a world/object space map?

I think i might have just enabled something i shouldnt have or something small like that, as i have never had this problem normal mapping before.

biggestkid
10-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok i made sure the tangent space map box was ticked in the render to texture dialog, and im still getting the funny colours and the weird distortion.

Any other ideas?

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2009, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.