PDA

View Full Version : Several Questions Regarding ZBrush

GothTropic411
10-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Hello! I am seriously thinking about buying the student price of ZBRush and I have some questions about it before I start saving my money.

1) I'm an English major attending university and I really don't have as much time as I used to. I don't want to get a new program and spend a whole semester just trying to learn it! D: How many weeks/months did it take you to get over the learning curve?

2) What are the best book resources for it? My 2 criteria are quality of instruction and money.

3) Going back to the learning curve, how long did it take you, as a beginner, to make something amazing? What were your beginnings like? I see so much incredible stuff, I know I can do it. I have downloaded the product and tried it but so far all I have done is carve random-ish stuff onto a sphere. :( I have also played with the ZSpheres with *some * success. How long does it take to get the hang of those?

4) Should I wait for Version 3.5 to come out? That one has an awesome muscle-drawing tool...@_@

5) Should I get a bigger digital drawing pad for this program? I have a small one. Is it time to spend *more * cash alongside ZBrush, should I choose to buy it?

Thanks in advance!!! :D
~GothTropic411

wwswimming
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Hello! I am seriously thinking about buying the student price of ZBRush and I have some questions about it before I start saving my money.

1) I'm an English major attending university and I really don't have as much time as I used to. I don't want to get a new program and spend a whole semester just trying to learn it! D: How many weeks/months did it take you to get over the learning curve?

2) What are the best book resources for it? My 2 criteria are quality of instruction and money.

it took me 3-4 months.

i tried the tutorials that come with ZBrush.

then the video tutorials at 3DBuzz.com

i didn't learn how to properly extract a displacement map until i took the class taught by Eric Keller at Lynda.com ($25 a month)
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourseN.aspx?lpk2=642

it's a fun program, but exporting a high-poly model (e.g. 100 MB) isn't very useful. for people that use it to add detail to Max & Maya models, for example.

if you're just using ZBrush 'for its own self', then it doesn't matter so much how big the models get file-size wise.

anyway, it is a fun program. i like it a lot more than Mudbox.

i have ZBrush 3.1. i think i'm eligible for the free upgrade, just haven't done it yet. i think it's "ready for prime-time", i don't see any point in waiting.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.