PDA

View Full Version : 2D: Character: Child

Max4d
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey guys

Itís been quite some time since I posted anything ( descent). Way too long a time in my opinion. I have been researching quite some time, mostly at my cousins who is an amazing talent in drawing and I found a new shading technique which is based on smudging. To my surprise it can create very nice effects which are way more realistic than my previous attempts, but I still have to learn a lot about it and a way to get rid of the grainy look.

I chose to try this technique out on a childís face using some photo reference. Itís going to be part of a huge project, which I will start when I am at my best( about 10-15 years from now). The project will be about my brotherís dead nine years ago and it will concern afterlife and stuff. I still have to develop the story and do a lot of work but I intend to start seriously when I have gained more abilities.

So I realy hope to get some comments from you guys on this drawing which is more an experiment than an art piece. I left the inside of the mouth open on purpose.

Thx in advance

Greetz Max4d

PS, oh yeah, I think I made the eyes a bit to big.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/marcjacobs/Child.jpg

Sciatica
08-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Greetings,

Ah yes, smudging... my old friend.

It looks like your using charcoal for your image which is a great medium for smudging. It can be a rather hard technique to learn. If you desire a tip, I suggest that you invest in one of those smudging pens. You can get them at any art store, and you can get them in differnt diameters to acheive sharper more detail smudges or broader strokes. When doing life art, I use conte.. another great medium, but can be a bit harder to smudge since it goes down a bit more solid on the page.

On your image,

The bags under the eyes add a tired, worn effect to the face, which in my opinion clashes with the rest of the face which has a more youthful, energetic look to it. This may be the intended effect. I just thought I should point it out.

Also, the mouth looks a bit off. The upper lip is good (Perhaps fill out the top right section of the lip) but the bottom lip is a bit bent. The bottom lip should have more of a uniform "U" shape to it. If charcoal is your medium, this could be a pain to fix. Perhaps try getting some white conte and slowing smudging it over the area that needs change (if you desire to do so). Im not sure if ths would actually work, so try it on a test page first. I dont want to be the cause of the destruction of your art <innocent look>

The cheeks, I think, are very well done. They add a youthful energy to the charecter, and brings out his personality more..

And I kinda like the eyes...

Max4d
08-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Hey

Thx for the comment

About the bags under the eyes and about the lips; I used a photo as reference and used that expression, so i should blame the photo ;)

I am not using charcoal, but 2b, 4b and 6b pencils.

Greetz Max4d

Sciatica
08-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Hmmm... Pencil... I rather like the look you acheived with that. I might have to take inspiration from that and try my hand at the lead. I have always just primarily used lead for sketches and such....

Glad to help :)

Max4d
08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Please give some more comment guy's.

Max4d

Max4d
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Hey guys

I made another childís face, this time in a side view. I realy hope to ge comment on this one too. Itís a bit sloppy and I know about the hideous black lines, but I didnít have the time to smudge them out and quite frankly, I donít give a ****.

Thx in advance

Greetz Max4d

http://members.lycos.co.uk/marcjacobs/Child2.jpg

phoenix
08-15-2003, 09:55 PM
nice strokes:thumbsup:

Max4d
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by phoenix
nice strokes:thumbsup:

Thx for the comment, but what do you exactly mean with it?

Max4d

Electrofirma
08-18-2003, 05:22 PM
I don't think the second one looks very childlike. It looks more like an older woman.

Also the knot in the muscle near her cheekbone doesn't look right to me.

Electrofirma
08-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Here's a quick attachment highlighting what looks to me as being a problem with the cheek.

Max4d
08-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey

Thx for the comment. About the cheek thing, maybe i overdid the lightning a bit.
I used a head as reference :

http://www.fineart.sk/heads/HERO(~20.JPG

Greetz Max4d

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.