PDA

View Full Version : Luminance stensil

PPGINGRAS
08-13-2003, 07:07 PM
hey, im just begining to use DF, my bg is Shake, then C2.
I wanna know how to fake a depth of field using a recipe that ive always used.

1) I have my color plate
2) i use the same color plate but copied with blur to it.
3) I have a grayscale map of the same plate, using a custom Z rbg trick within Maya.

Normally, heres the flow in C2.

I put the blured color layer over the original one, and then i just apply a Luma stensil (the grayscale one) to the blured color layer.

So when the grayscale plate is Black, its blured, and when its white it is not.

So thats how i fake my DOF in C2...is there any similar trick within DF? How do i say to a node to be Stensiled by a luminance channel B/W.

Thanks to all

PPGINGRAS

igoraki
08-13-2003, 10:59 PM
hmmm,you can apply grayscale one as mask for your blur effect,no need for second layer...select node,in control area,right click,effects mask,select bitmap,click on masks tab,drag and drop your loader or any other node to drop tool here....if i have understand you correct,this will create effect you want.

you can use same mask on merge,to stay with your workflow,one blurred and one "normal" image,connect them with merge,and put mask on merge,but i dont see reason to do it that way.

PPGINGRAS
08-14-2003, 02:00 AM
This way was to explain steps into C2.
Im still seeing DF as Combustion, but i see is way more like Shake.

Different workflow tho...;)

Thanks mate.

PPGINGRAS

GrantKay
08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
DF is more like Shake. They are both node based compositors.

Combustion is a layer based compositor, more like AFX.

Regards
Grant

DISCREET - EMEA

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.